Sunday, June 13, 2010

Looking back.

Hi friends! Not much to report in the way of my lil homestead.

This whole past week was busy for us at work. It was go go go. I'm not complaining though but it left me feeling physically exhausted. I slept in yesterday morning(Saturday) which is unusual for me. I piddled around then slept some more. I felt that I could not get enough rest. Truthfully, I felt useless and didn't make it to that lil place-o-mine because I was tired and not up to par.

Mom got a DTV converter box. Call us tightwads but we refuse to pay for cable TV because it is so expensive. When they switched from analog to digital, we never got a converter box so we have been without a TV which is just fine with me but I knew Mom missed her shows and news. If anything, the news is probly the only thing I will be watching IF I can even stay up that late. It's hooked up and all. Ya have to tweek with the antenna till you git good signals. Picture is really clear.

My two lil nephews came over today with their parents. Their Dad bbq'd burgers while we swam a lil while in the cement pond. It sure was fun chasing them around in the water and just watching them have a good time made me feel good all over.

Its funny how in the middle of all that fun I started to think about my late Gramma. These two lil one's who are 3 and 5 were her beloved great-grandchildren. She loved these lil boys so much and they loved her sooooo much and truth be told that sometimes it pains me to know that they will never get to know her in to their adulthood. She would have enjoyed seeing them have such a good time today. I guess I, too, just miss her so much.

Today's events had me thinking of my Gramma.

Everywhere I look there is a memory of her. Even in the way an afternoon or evening looks like or a beautiful sunset or just the certain smell of the outdoors takes me back to yesteryear when we sat on the porch in the evening over a glass of her famous sweet tea. I remember the way she held her glass, sometimes she would touch my hand and hold it and I remember her skin being soft like a newborn baby's skin. I can still remember her like it was just yesterday sittin' on the porch with a kitchen towel draped over her shoulder shoo-ing off a fly or skeeter. How safe I felt sitting next to her having some kind of contact with her. In my eyes she was most noble, a fine example of what a woman should be. She was like the rock..the foundation of the family and today she was the only one missing in our lil gathering. I guess it set me off in this mood. I'm not one to display my emotions around anyone in person except about three or four good good friends that I know but now you know a lil bit too.

One of my best friends use to tell me that I was so lucky to have my Gramma and that I needed to spend as much time with her while she was still here. When she would tell me that I remember sayin' in my head that I was gonna have my Gramma forever. I'm glad I did spend alot of time with her and that I was lead by her example on how to handle certain situations in life. What I would give to have her back here in good health, though I always feel her love and spirit around me and for now that will suffice.

Take care of your loved one's especially yer elderly. You would not be here today if it weren't fer them. Remember all the times they took care of you when you were sick and the deep sacrifices they made for their families. It is a hard look sometimes when you look back at their sufferings. They love you more than you know.

Until next time, see you on the backroads.

No comments: