Its been one heck of a long week. I've been on call for seven days and am so ready to get off call at 7am.
This weekend was kinda weird since I had to make a handful of trips to and from work. I admit that being on call is not my cup of tea. Needless to say, I could not make it to my homestead. I know we got some rain out there because my friend said they got a good downpour. We sure needed the rain though. I had big cracks in my yard.
Yesterday I separated and packaged some fresh beef that the ol' man from work gave to me. He slaughtered one of his cows for the freezer. He raises cattle that is only grass fed and makes a good profit taking them to auction. I don't know the breed if purebred or mixed but I do know that it is some fine tasting beef. He gave me 45lbs +/-. The freezer is well stocked now. There were two beautiful big slabs of beef in the mix. The texture nor the look is not like that of store bought meat but way better. I did throw two thick ribs in the crockpot that I let simmer for over 10hours. When done the meat just fell off the bone and the meat was juicy and tender. Earlier in the day, I did cook chunks of stew meat with Spanish rice. It was just what I wanted and sat well. I have reserved some for my lunch tomorrow at work.
I did some reading and research this weekend as time allowed. Nothing in particular but mostly homesteading material. I like doing that on my own time and reading other peoples blogs about what is going on in their lives in the way of living self-sufficiently. You tube has some videos on the subject that I like to watch from time to time.
I guess not much more to write about at this point. Its really late and my eyes are getting crossed for some sleep.
Thanks fer stoppin' by. Till next see you on the backroads.
4 comments:
That fresh beef sure does sound good!
No comparing the home grown with store bought!
Glad you are getting off the "on call" merry go round!
HermitJim..the beef was tender and tasty and absolutely no comparison to store bought. I can't wait to throw some ribs on the grill. Finally off call..thank goodness. Glad you stopped by fer a visit and I hope all is well.
Hi Jen, I am the one who complained about the previous type style, thanks for changing it. I had quit reading your blog because of the difficulty. I decided to check back in, and am happy I did. I too have a little place out in the middle of nowhere,and I admire you for all the things that you have accomplished, and I wish you continued success in all your efforts.
Hello Anonymous. I thought that if someone liked reading about my little world then it was important enough to make a change so that they may be able to read it with ease.
The making of my lil place has been continuous. Between long bouts of not being able to be there it is hard accomplishing all i would like so I'll be at it fer a while enjoying the journey. I would love to hear about your lil place and sure am glad that you stopped back in.
Post a Comment