Gosh its been such a loooooong week. We've been so busy at work and all week long I could not wait until Friday. I have been working every weekend for the past 3-4 weeks and today, Saturday, was the first time I have actually had an entire day to really relax. I have been so tired for the past coupla weeks. Most of the time I cant stay up past 7pm sometimes earlier. I know it sounds crazy but its true.
Thursday I found some time and energy to go to that lil place-o-mine after work. I kinda dragged ass going after a long day at work but I knew I had to go. The last time I went, the place was way overgrown with grass and weeds. My riding mowers are deader than dead and my push mower was giving me a fit. I know what I need to do to the push mower but it was almost 5pm when I got there and the last thing I needed to do was mess with it. My trusty Echo weedeater came along and I started weedwhacking around the lil house then I thought I would just get a smaller spot on the yard and from there it went to another section then another and next thing I know Im almost done with the area that I usually keep mowed. I was drenched in sweat but it was overcast so although it was hot, it was not unbearable. I had to keep going as much as I could while the sun was hiding then the work was over.
I sat on my doorstep when I got done to enjoy my lil place. I'm not sure why but things just seemed different in a good way. I got up to walk around the cleared areas and enjoyed the peace and subtle noises that go with the country. I could hear children playing in the distance; I am downwind from them. It was that sound of youthful laughter that brought a smile to my face, as it helped bring back fond memories of my own childhood. The sounds of mourning doves filled the air, as did quail. Even the sound of a tractor in the far distance was music to my ears. This was a FAR cry from life in the city.
As I sat there thinking, I started to make mental notes of what all I still needed to do to the lil house. I also started to think about the winter and what preparations must be made to keep warm and prevent drafty areas. I have some wall insulation that needs to be put in place but it has been way too hot lately to even mess with the insulation; at least I know I have some to get started on. Something tells me we are going to have an early and cold winter. Sometimes I get those internal meteorological feelings that are hard to describe.
I still have my new to me RV stove/oven that I have yet to try out that I got from Christy and Dave. I have a good feeling that it is going to fire up just fine. I've wanted an RV stove/oven for a very long time. I also have that new to me Catalina propane heater that I bought early in the year. The heat off of those heaters is awesome when you have a very cold winter day/night. It sure was hard finding a good heater at that time. Tractor Supply stores ran out of the propane heaters they had in stock; I exhausted my search on craiglist locally for one with no results. I finally found one in Schulenburg, TX which is way up there just south of Waco. The lady still had it and I made a day out of that drive because that Catalina heater was worth it; it was a beautiful drive though.
So much it seems to do and not enough time. I'm not the lazy kind to do stuff around the homestead that needs done but with my work schedule as of late and feeling so dang fatigue it is hard to get much done. Even so, I am so thankful and grateful with what God has blessed me with so far. Sometimes I cant even believe of what I have acquired and accomplished but it is "the want so bad" thing that gives us the drive to achieve what really is important to us.
I will continue my slow progress at eL Chiquito at my own pace. I can only do what I can do. There are no deadlines to meet nor are there other people's rules to follow. My whole experience in this is to absorb all of my trials, efforts and accomplishments so that I may learn from mistakes and achievements alike and make it a positive experience. I know one thing though, I sure miss that lil place when I am not there.
I hope yer homesteading projects are comin' along well and that yer gardens be overflowing with abundance. Thanks fer stoppin' by this lil place-o-mine and glad you enjoyed the iced tea. Until next time, see you on the back roads.
No comments:
Post a Comment