Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mother Ocean.

I hadda work fer a coupla hours this morning and when I got back home I went fer a drive to the waters edge. I needed a saltwater fix. It was a beautiful morning. The smells of the ocean was like a high. I love the smell of the ocean water, not everyone does but I do.

*I did not have camera in hand.

I walked to the shoreline and just took it all in. The water looked great. It was a bit windy and overcast but not too bad. I could see the ol' fishing hole from where I stood. So many memories left there from days gone by fishing with some ol' friends.

I took a short walk and got lost in thought, though I cant say I was thinking of one thing in particular. My mind sometimes goes blank when I'm there. The ocean waters have a way of cleansing the mind. Its hard to describe but if you grew up around the beaches then you might know what I mean.

There were two sailboats in the distance but not too far away. I've sailed that area with my friend Jimmy. Sometimes after his shift we would pack up a few beverages and adult beverages alike and set sail. Sometimes other friends came along, sometimes not. He had some great sailing skills so I felt safe in the boat. Things can go wrong though, in the blink of an eye so you must think quick. None the less we had a great time back in the day. I use to dream of living on a sailboat sailing from port to port. I cant say the thought ever left my mind completely but I wouldnt trust my own navigational skills. I would need extensive training if I ever decided to do just that as the waters can be tricky at times. But nothing wrong with dreaming. I had another sailing buddy named Jason who lived in a Cape and was gonna do just that. That was his dream. I hope he fulfilled it. I need to make contact with him or look for his link to his online sailing log.

I should've stayed out longer or come back with fishing rod and tackle in hand but I had other commitments and time sure does fly by.

As I was leaving, I stood at the water's edge and saw a pieces of a broken sand dollars and other shells wash up. As I was reluctantly walking back to my truck, I heard Mother Ocean call again. I looked back one last time and snapped a mental picture. It is hard to leave her sometimes. I left feeling content knowing I'd be back again soon enough.

11 comments:

stella said...

Thanks for sharing your mental picture in words Jenny. Havent seen the beaches of the south yet. But someday. lol Reckin I could find someone who would take me fishin in the gulf?

Jen said...

Hi Stelly. Our beaches arent blue in color until you get to deeper waters. But our beaches are a pretty Margarita green water IF there aint nuffin' terrible(hurricanes, high winds etc)stirred up in the Gulf.

I do reckon I knows someone out here that'll take ya fishin' and crabbin', cook it an eat it till ya hearts content and make ya a beach bum before long :) (bein' a beach bum is a compliment..is the life!). Thanks fer stoppin by Stelly. ~Jenny

tffnguy said...

Jen, when I lived in the Houston area Galveston was my weekend home and I was more or less a weekend beach bum. Did a lot of crabbing to and love to eat crab legs! I also fished a lot to. Back then I had an old 63 ford falcon van and that was my camper for the weekend trips. I sort of miss that, but now days they don't allow vehicles or (from what I've heard) alcoholic beverages on the beaches there so I just couldn't get in to it anymore.

Jen said...

Hi tffnguy. Glad you had moments like that at Galveston beach. It just cannot be matched. I agree with that there are too many regulations but I still manage to carry beer wif me when I feel like drinkin' a couple. Crabbing is fun..I do that here as well. I dont think I've ever seen a 63 Ford Falcon...I'd love to see one. My Grampa always drove Falcons :) and I would love one someday. The last time I went to Galveston, a coupla years ago, was fer the Mardi Gras celebration in Galveston. Omg...thas a whole other story :)! Thanks fer stoppin by.

Jen said...

tffnguy...I meant I've never seen a 63 Ford Falcon VAN.

tffnguy said...

Jen, those vans were the first generation econolines, but they were considered falcon vans back then. I think some actually had falcon on them.

Jen said...

tffnguy, omg I just googled it. Now I want one of those too! You see what you started now. Those were wayyy cool. Yes, I want one!

tffnguy said...

Wouldn't mind having another one my self Jen. My first eX got it in the divorce and I got stuck with the Pinto. :(

Jen said...

Im sorry to hear of yer divorce. But Pinto's are fun to look at. I'd drive a Pinto just fer fun! Love old cars.

Gianetta said...

I'm not sure if I would want to go sailing or not. I'm kinda nervous around water. I can swim fairly well, but I'm still nervous.

Anonymous said...

I would love a visit to some salt water right now..