Sunday, July 29, 2012

MIA again

Yes, I have been MIA once again. I don't like it when that happens. I was really good at one point about keeping up with my blog and quiet frankly I wasn't sure if it still existed! So many things have been happening in my life. My Lil Homestead, which was the reason for this blog, has not been getting as much attention as I would like. It is not by choice but rather time and financial constraints. As many of you know, that lil place-o-mine is a good distance from my home in the city..I'd say a good 55 mile trip one way. So, it is not always convenient for me to visit, even more so with school twice a week and work five days a week or seven if I am on call. The last time I visited would have been almost a month ago. It was great to be back on my land.

My first afternoon there I had single people food for dinner...mesquite grilled Spam sandwiches on wheat with a side of mesquite grilled sausage. It was delicious and would rather have had that than a burger from a favorite burger joint!

After supper, there was no need to start a new project as I was losing daylight. Instead I took my bath, went back outside and marveled at the sounds and sights of the evening. The gentle breeze felt cool against my skin. As darkness approached, I headed inside the confines of my lil house where most of my deepest of thoughts and dreams come to gather. After doing some reading, I dozed off to the continual sound of my lil DC fan as I faded into a sleep.

As I awoke and stepped outside to the morning light, these were the colors the morning greeted me with. What a privilege it is to see Mother Nature at her finest. Although the colors highlighted the morning, the sights, sounds and smells of another day coming to life had me frozen in time yet again.

As the morning went on, I piddled with one of my push mowers and got it to start but it soon died. This was expected as the carburetor needs to be rebuilt. I have the kit now but have not had the time to make it out there. Much yard work needed to be done and tweaked with so I did just that.

At about 11:30am or so, I got the grill going and loaded the goods onto my trusty ol' yard transporting device..The Radio Flyer! That thing sure comes in handy for alot of things. So under the tree we head to. I put a scrap piece of plywood under the grill for good measure as the grass is very very dry.

One would think that I was cooking for a family of four when I was the only one there. lol. But I threw all the chicken I had on the grill to take home to Mom and to eat on for the rest of the week until all gone. It was delicious if I do say so myself. Of course, for us South Texans anything grilled with mesquite wood is delicious!

I guess I ended up leaving around 4pm or so. I gave myself some extra time to get ready for what the new work and school week had to offer. I always hate leaving that lil place-o-mine. I always feel like part of my heart and soul get left behind because there is always an uncertainty of when I'll return. But I always try leaving on the note that someday I will be there for good and it is that thought that helps me move along.

I apologize to those readers that like reading my blog for not keeping up like I should. I promise to try harder...even if its not homestead related.

Until next time my darlings, see you on the backroads.

7 comments:

Gianetta said...

I been wondering where you went. Chicken looks good too!

Jen said...

Hi G! I've just been busy. Thanks fer stoppin' by to visit. And yes, the chicken was great! Take care.

DEB said...

Glad to see you made it back to the blog. I like reading your stories! Just someone from Iowa.

Jen said...

Hi DEB! I'm glad to hear that you like reading my stories. Thank you! I promise to do better at keeping up with my blog again. Thanks fer stoppin' by. :)

Elizabeth said...

I was just talking to someone last week about spam. I haven't had it since I was a kid and I was saying how we loved it when my mom fried it. And there it was on your grill! I wasn't even sure they made it anymore. Now my dad was from Texas and maybe it's a Texas thing. Brings back memories...

Jen said...

Elizabeth..hello. I LOVE Spam. Not sure if its just a Texas thing but its so versatile for just about any meal. I love eating it in the morning with fried potato's. Makes you wanna slap yo Momma. (well, not literally)
Thank you fer stoppin by.

bwingler said...

Yummy, I love a spamwich :)