I have had a three day weekend. I have been waiting for time off like this for a long time. I debated there fer a minute about either driving to the beach or going to my lil homestead. BTW, this weekend was great beach weather but Ive got till September or October to enjoy the beach. Although I'm only about 3 min.(14ft above sea level) or so from the water, I like driving to Port Aransas beaches..about 25 min. or so from home. Being Memorial Day weekend, those ferry lines are going to be at least 2 hr wait or more. No thank you!
Instead, I chose the quiet of my lil homestead. My grass/weeds is ridiculously high. The man that was supposed to come and brushhog it never came to do it nor did he call. I am so disappointed in that. Previously, I had mowed my grass down around the perimeter of the house with the lil pushmower and weedeater. It is all I have in the way of mowing. I guess it comes to about a third of an acre that I have mowed down. The rest is way too thick and tall for the lil mower.
It was HOT out there. I forget that the temps out there are always like 5-10 degrees hotter than here in the city. Thermometer was reading 97 degrees...typical South Texas weather.
I still worked in the cleared areas. I have some wild nasty prickly bushes that I am sick of looking at. They are of no benefit to me or the land. In fact, I think they block some of the southeasterly winds and also when I drive up to the lil house I kinda have to go around them...they have scratched my truck many times. Well, after cleaning up my mesquites in front of the lil house it was time to knock down the s.o.b bushes. So I broke out with the chainsaw and went to town on them and dammit if one spiny limb didn't land on my back. They are very unforgiving! After a few chosen words I felt better. I dragged them off and commenced to start the mower to mow the rest of that patch and it didn't wanna start. No gas..so I went to get the gas can and guess what....NO GAS! I got outta the hot sun and took a breather over a cold glass of water. I was not going to drive 12 miles into town to go and get it either that late in the evening. The sun was still blazing so after some other cleanups around the yard I called it a day, washed up and enjoyed the rest of the evening. I'm still not done with the nasty bushes but at least I put a dent in that project. These things never end.
Im not sure why but I feel like I could go back to bed right now. It is only 10:37am. I love having time off.
I hope everyone has had a good weekend. I hope yer projects are coming along great. Thank you fer stoppin' by this lil place-o-mine. Until next time, see you on the backroads.
4 comments:
Hard to imagine that sort of heat living where I do. 97's rare. Must be that Viking blood in me, I like it on the cool side better.
Thanks for the update!
Request: More pictures of the happenings around Jen's lil' homestead.
Howdy Mo!!
Good to see you. Yeah it gets pretty hot around here. We will see these temps till about October or so believe it or not. The thermometer on my truck today said 107! Dang sure felt like it and I work outdoors too...lol. Being a South Texas native, my body is climatized to this though it is uncomfortable at times. Funny how when our temps get in the low 60's it feels cold to me...lolol.
The reason fer not posting pics lately is that my laptop has bit the dust and it takes forever loading pics through my desktop. My camera batteries died before it could load my pics..Go figure! I'm living in the Ice Age again using this desktop. I, too, miss posting pics. My blog is looking real bland. I will keep trying to post 'em.
Thank you fer stopping by to sit a spell over a glass of iced tea. Until next time, see you on the back roads.
You live that close to the beach and didn't tell me???
Hi Gia!!
Yes'm I live on the coast...hurricane alley. If you know where Corpus Christi, Texas is on the map I am bout a stone's throw away. Jump on in, the water's nice and warm.
Thanks fer stoppin' by and visitin' over a nice chilled Margarita. Come back now, ya hea.
Post a Comment