Friday, May 7, 2010

This 'n that.

I feel like I have fallen behind on my blog. Last weekend while at that lil place-o-mine, I took some pics that I wanted to share with you but unfortunately while trying to download them my batteries went dead. I'm having to use my desktop since my laptop died and this desktop doesn't have that memory card slide thingy so i have to use the cable from camera to usb port. I hate it.
The work week went by so fast it seems. We have been busy at work but not a bad busy just busy. It is spring and we have had a coupla projects keeping us busy such as the swimming pool. But now that we acid washed it and painted it it looks really nice. We are filling it up as we speak. It looked mighty refreshing earlier as it was another hot day.
While I was at my lil place last weekend, I had to mow bout 1/3 of an acre with a push mower since my riding mower croaked. It wasn't fun but it wasn't too bad either. It was either the pushmower or get to weedwhacking again. Since before I even signed on the dotted line for the property, I had already sized up the one acre. I imagined where my lil house would be and where my chicken coop would possibly be and a garden space or two, the clothes line, burn pile etc. It is taking me forever to decide and do alot of things but sometimes its hard doing too much by yerself. I'm ok with the timing though as this gives me things to look forward to.
Last weekend I mowed out a nice square bout 12' x 12' or so for a garden though Im not too sure that that is where I want to put it yet or not. It does seem like a good spot though. It is in full sun and no shade. I also cut down a lil tree that was leaning way too much to the ground and was just in the way. I pruned some other mesquite trees and I'm far from being done with that. The leaves on the trees are new and no signs of the pods yet.
Speaking of mesquite, I scored 1/3 of a truckload of mesquite wood Wednesday at work. I cut it with the chainsaw and still needs splitting but it is still very green. I am going to stack it on a pallet at my lil place and just let it dry with the hot South Texas sun. I am in no hurry for it. I still have some mesquite wood from about a year ago that has been aging. Most of it is ready for use. It just seems like a waste to throw it away.
I have also been looking at different ways to make a simple chicken coop. I have alot of scrap wood. I am going to try my best to keep costs to a minimum for this project and I believe it can be done with a lil creativity. Craigslist and Freecycle are great sources for cheap or free material.
Well, not much more to say only that I hope you are doing good with yer homesteading projects and that yer gardens overflow with abundance. Thank you fer stoppin' by. I hope to see you soon. Until next time, see you on the backroads.

1 comment:

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Sounds like you have been keeping busy and staying out of trouble Jen. Not that you're always in trouble or anything.