We had a really bad thunderstorm whip through the area early Saturday morning. It did some major damage to trees, yards, etc. I know the winds reached close to 70mph...pretty close to hurricane speeds. I was in the work truck as this suddenly came upon us. It was rocking and pushing the truck hard and the visibility was almost nil. I guess it lasted about a good hour. Me and two other co-workers had to wait it out under a big gazebo in our vehicles. After about 12pm it cleared up very nicely and turned out to be a beautiful day...go figure. This thunderstorm was so bad that it split the biggest and oldest live oak tree in the park from the trunk!!! The trunk itself is about the size of a truck bed or better.
Since I had to work this weekend, I didnt make it out to my country place. I hope to be going out there some time during the week to check on things. I am not exactly crazy about receiving all that rain as I am sure it has caused my grass/weeds to go haywire again and not to mention the damn mosquito's!
My serrano peppers and cayenne pepper seedlings have broke thru their lil peat pellets. I hope I dont kill'm somehow. I would like to transfer them to some bigger pots but I am going to wait another few days. I need to start clearing a garden spot at my country place. On my previous visit I wanted to share some pics with you but the upload failed because my batteries died. I know I wont get a ground garden this year but I'd like to start working on the soil. I have toyed around the idea of raised beds. I do like the way they look. Either way I need to work on that garden plot. I have a three day weekend coming up on Memorial weekend. I sure hope I dont get called in because I would like to spend the entire time at that lil place-o-mine.
I splurged a little and bought myself two solar spotlights from Wallyworld. I spent $20.00 for a set of two. I think they are good to have and can serve as multipurpose lights. I would like to rig one somehow and splice some wire to it and put a lil toggle switch or something in a discreet spot under the lil house by the door so that I can switch it on when I enter the lil house to have some light since it is offgrid. It is pitch black inside when entering in low light or at night. Just something else to tinker with.
I have been somewhat exhausted. I have been working for the past three weeks or so straight. We have been busy and shorthanded at work. I cant wait until the boss hires some extra hands. Overtime is good but the body needs rest before it really catches up to you.
Not much else going on here. I wish I had more excitement to write about but this is it. I hope things are going well for you and at yer homestead. Thanks fer stoppin' by and sittin' a spell with me. Until next time, see you on the backroads.
2 comments:
Glad you survived the storm Jen. I guess you get alot of those down that way.
Thx Hermit. Our typical South Texas weather is very unpredictable. Sunny and hot one minute thunderstorms next. You just never know. The storm sure did make a mess at our parks at work. We've been busy with that. Good to see you.
Post a Comment