Sunday, September 12, 2010

Going back in time.

Not much to write home about. Mom and I were sick with a stomach bug this weekend. She had it since earlier in the week pretty bad. Today was the first time since Tuesday that she felt better.

I, on the other hand, did not feel so well. I stayed home all weekend long and traveled back in time.

I caught up on some reading....mostly about South Texas history ...... stories told of long ago and the way people lived, indian raids, smugglers, bandits. The area where that lil place-o-mine sits was nothing more than an isolated remote area thick with brush(still is thick with brush)and mesquites and many other native plants, trees, shrubs and animals still around today. I love Texas History and am truly convinced that I was born in the wrong era.

Sometimes I am nostalgic to a fault. I had a happy childhood and I like to refer to it now and then. Those were happy days and when I think of them they make me smile. I didn't know then that I was being shaped into the person I am today. I think of my late Gramma often and the stories of long ago she told us. She was still a child when the last of the indians in that part of Texas were a dying breed. Her hands were strong yet so soft and her hardships were many yet she spoke so gently. She told me of many things that happened in her life and I listened with a fascination and very attentive to every word she spoke and the tone she spoke it in. She was my source of a personal history and though she is Home now, I will respect her until my dying day. So yes, I like to look back at my life...at my own personal history.

In closing, I leave you with a quote by Maude T. Gilliland (in her closing), the author of the book Rincon that I just read: "And I believe there is a time for living in the past. There comes a time in everyone's life where the only place he can look is back. And we will all reach this period if we live long enough."

Until next time, see you on the back roads.

2 comments:

stella said...

Jen I to find a lot of comfort in the past, it truely is what shapes us into who we become. Tell the story to the young ones, they too will remember.

Jen said...

I plan to tell my lil nephews of my own childhood and of my Gramma...their Great Gramma. I hope they can treasure memories like I have. Thanks fer stoppin by.