Wednesday, September 22, 2010

When it rains, it pours.

Dang we have received over 10" of rain over the weekend. There has been flooding in every ditch you can think of. Friday when I went to my country place to check on things after work it was raining and it never stopped. Unfortunately, it was my weekend to work so I couldn't stay. Of course the grass/weeds had to poke its way up from the dirt...its getting high again. Things seemed ok so I was glad.

Then Sunday I went back after work, as I only had to work for two and a half hours...dumb i know. It rained and rained and rained nonstop. Working outside was just not possible so I sat on my chair with the door open and enjoyed watching and hearing the rain fall. It was rather quiet with an occasional car passing by so I snoozed off.

When I woke up, there was more water than usual accumulated on the ground behind the truck and for fer good measure, or so I thought, I figured I should move the truck and situate it in a manner that I will not be parked in a clear deep puddle of good ol' South Texas sticky slippery clay mud. Ok, so I went to the truck and instead of backing up into the huge puddle of water with ruts in it, I moved forward to higher ground to turn around and park towards the front of the property on tall grass/weeds. It went well until I turned the wheel the truck just stopped moving, I thought 'uh oh' so I threw it in reverse and it just revved, my tires were slipping so I threw it in 4wd but this time I was really screwed because it neither moved me back or forth.

I put big rocks under the tires to catch some traction and nothin', boards...nuthin' it just slinged up the mud everywhere. I was stuck in the mud. When I stepped outta the truck, I just sunk into this sloshy clay mud and at one point the mud sucked my boot into the mud deeper so my foot come outta it and my foot fell into the mud resulting in a very black sock. I went to get my shovel to try and shovel the rut out but it gets very tiring very quickly doing that but I tried and tried and made every effort known to me to git out and nothin'. It is strange that in the middle of all this I found it strangely amusing. I was kinda havin' fun. I thought of the various scenarios that could happen. I didn't care if I hadda stay..I mean I have shelter, water, a small amount of food but enough(and rabbits are everywhere), my deep cycle battery has enough juice for a coupla days I mean, what the heck. I was NOT going to abandon my truck for any reason. But I did call my friend to see if she had 4wd on her blazer and so with that they said they'd be right over and they did but the mud was so slippery that their truck started sinking too. My friends boyfriend said that the Kubota was the best option at that point but I was a lil panicky about that because I would feel so bad if the tractor got stuck but he insisted. While he was gone, I told my friend that we should go inside the lil house and wait because it was startin' to rain a lil harder.

I must mention that several months ago when my cabin was broken into, I changed the dead bolt on my door and the bottom knob for some reason never wanted to lock so it was a useless knob. But in the middle of all the chaos, I locked it out of habit and wouldn't you know that of all times that it has not engaged....this time it did!...and I didn't have the key. When it rains, it pours. We went back to the truck to sit there and wait on her boyfriend while I searched my backpack, purse, glove compartment, center console for an extra key....I always have extra keys but not that day!

Anyway, he got back with the tractor in tow and got right to work. I prayed extra hard that the tractor didn't get stuck. He hitched up my truck and pulled me out no problem. It was great but he had me drive all the way outta the driveway to make sure I didn't get stuck because there was lots of mud and water. I threw it in 4wd but this time it caught traction because there was tall grass to catch on. While he was there, he mowed some of the tall weeds and grass. It was the first time in several months..maybe a year that I hadn't seen the ground in the front of the property! I tell you, it is nice to know some good folks that are willing to help you out. This is the second time that they have come to my rescue. I told him that in late winter when it is dry or early spring before the rains, I am going to hire him to lay out a driveway with caliche for me because I sure will need it.

After all the commotion was over they invited me over to their home to wash up. My blue jeans were black, my whitey white t-shirt was black and my hair, cap, face and arms was muddy. Maybe they felt bad fer me I don't know but that was an adventure and took me outta the funk I had been in. After my shower, a beer and good conversation I set sail fer home. The back road that I normally take home was shut down due to high water so I hadda go on the interstate which I don't like doing cause in bad weather people drive like idiots but I made it home and crashed out hard.

I'm glad that I made that phone call to them otherwise it mighta taken days to get out because we received even more rain that night and all day Monday and up until today and I dont like missing work. No work = no pay. Now the skeeters are all stirred up again...damn them.

That's it fer me fer now. Glad you stopped by fer a visit. Until next time, see you on the backroads.

No comments: