Saturday, May 7, 2011

Freshwater creek fix.

Went fishing with some of the guys after work at one of the local freshwater creeks in the lil town where I work. We were targeting alligator gar. I have never fished for needle nosed alligator gar before though I have snagged one or two in the saltwater by accident, so I was learning some new things about them. They are an interesting fish. They are very tenacious and opportunistic creatures. I had three of them, throughout our time there, hold on to my bait and actually follow it all the way to the bank then they would let go. I wished I knew we were going out there after work and I would've had a camera handy as the scenery was nice. I do though keep some tackle and a small fishing pole at all times in the truck :).

I realized I wasn't exactly prepared for this event as it is so very different than the type of fishing I am use to but none the less we had a blast and what a great way to unwind from the ending of another work week. We plan on going back out there soon. I can't wait.

Here is a pic of alligator gar courtesy of Google.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I.have.caught.them.at.Lake.Amistad.

Used.a.steel.leader.

Jen said...

I will be taking steel leaders next time I go. Sometimes I use them fer saltwater fishin'. I need to make more. Thanks fer stoppin' by.

SHARON said...

That's one ugly fish. Do they taste good?

Jen said...

Hi SHARON and welcome.

I agree that its one ugly fish. I've actually tasted it before some time ago..breaded and deep fried. Very tasty...kinda like chicken :) . They are not the easiest and fastest fish to clean. I've seen a coupla people do it. Thanks fer stoppin by.

Ralphy said...

You can make gar patties out of them. It's sorta like crab cakes. You gut and skin the fish and cut them up into sections if tyhey are big. Then boil them in a pot of water. When they are nice and tender flake the meat off the bones. Then chop up some red onion, jalapenos, bell pepper or whatever you got, add to the fish flakes. Add one egg so everything sticks together and make patties out of them. Don't forget to salt and pepper. Fry them up in your favorite oil.

Jen said...

Hi Ralphy.
Thanks fer the gar pattie tips. They sound delicious. I will try that when I catch one. I haven't been back to the creek since then. We had some rain, the creek rose and a whole buncha cattle have been hangin' around there. Kinda muddy right now but we'll be back. Good to see you. ~Jen