Wow its been forever that I haven't posted. It's just that lately there hasn't been anything worth posting about. Same ol' stuff..go to work, come home, sometimes work on weekends, etc.
I hadn't been to my lil place in about a month or so until today(Sunday). Like I've said before..when you got the time you aint got the money and when you got the money you aint got the time. To my surprise, Mom said she wanted to go! I was happy because she actually wanted to go all on her own! Mom isn't 'outdoorsy'(most of my time out there is spent outdoors) so this was a pleasant surprise. After gathering a few things to take with us we set sail.
Yup the grass was still outta hand but not as bad as I thought after a shower or two the area had gotten. My friend who lives 8 miles down the road due north said they had received 1 1/4 inches from our last shower. Sometimes on their side of the brush they get rain and I don't and vice versa so I'm not really sure I got rain at my place.
I took my new to me riding mower out there. This is the one that I got from the ol' man at work. Its an ol Craftsman. It's older but it worked great for about the first hour n' a half or so that I used it. I took a much needed break after that and parked it in the shade with the hood open to let it cool fer good measure then when I went back about an hour later to start it it only went about 15ft and it died..just like that. I had no clue on what could be wrong. I decided to jump start it and after a coupla minutes it started and died like 4seconds after that. I sprayed B-12 in the intake and nuthin'. This is exactly why I really really wanted to take the small engine repair class but it got cancelled. I want to understand small engines and learn how to diagnose the problems and reasons on why they fail. I called the ol man from work on his input but he didn't have much on it after I explained what I did. Now, I will have to have someone help me load it back into my truck to take it back to him. I know s**t happens but it seems that as of late I have bad luck with riding mowers. Its just one big hassle.
After the mower issue, things just took a new direction. I decided to go to the fence line of my one acre that the lil house sits on. I'm glad that I got to mow that area since I would like to get to startin' on digging post holes fer wooden posts. The dirt is very dry so I wanted to see just how hard it was going to be digging via shovel(sharp-shooter)to break the ground with. Well it was crumbly and powdery but not too bad..dry yes but I think I can handle this on my own. When I get good and ready to do this I will be bringing a 30 gallon drum full or halfway full of water to help aid in the digging. Since this is the back side of the property, I don't care on the cosmetics like if the wooden posts are all the same or not. I am going to use some used treated 4x4's that I was given and whatever other posts I can find in my 'recyclable pile'. I will be putting t-posts that I already have between the wooden posts. My fence of choice is welded wire fencing. I have about 300+ ft of it and its affordable. I don't need high dollar livestock fencing since I don't have animals and if I decide on livestock on a small scale I am using my second acre fer it.
Mom watched mostly on the various activities I was doing and walked around the property with me after I had cleared it. We talked alot and she had some really good ideas on how I should finish up the interior of the lil house..which I'm always open for ideas AND possible plans for in the future fer another lil house on the second acre. Not definite but possible. I had told her a lonnnng time ago I would like to build her a lil house over there..a lil bigger than mine, paved walkway to my place n' stuff, you know like personal touches and lil comforts. Whether or not this ever happens, the very thought excites me.
Oh yeah, she was really fascinated at how I got a lil 12v fan to work with no batteries or ac power. I had a 15watt solar panel from my Harbor Freight kit that I got back in '07 and rigged it up directly to the fan. I had previously snipped that fan wire to splice a cigarette lighter plug to it so I just connected the panel wires to the fan plug wires, set the panel in the sun and had instant fan power. I've messed with and used solar energy here and there fer a coupla years and am still fascinated myself at how the sun can produce energy.
After piddlin' with that I told her I was going to take a short lil nap and while I did she sat by the door in the breeze in a favorite chair that I got in a second hand store some time ago. When I awoke from my siesta, I asked her if she was bored and she said "No. I am really enjoying this peace and quiet out here." Then she said, "Since we've been out here(which was like 7hours or so)I've only seen about three..maybe four cars pass by." I laughed and told her it musta been rush hour..lololol.
It was a nice day out with my Mom. She really seemed to enjoy herself and I did too. At one point I remembered the camera and then got sidetracked and never got a picture today. Oh yeah, we were gonna bbq some stuff but the winds were really strong today so we opted not to. The grass is really really dry and crunchy brown and all it takes is just one ash to spark. Burn ban still remains in effect.
I hope y'all had a great weekend as well with family/friends. I sure did feel that Texas summer heat today but I wouldn't trade it fer nuthin'. It was a beautiful day!
Thanks fer stoppin' by. Until next time, see you on the back roads.
9 comments:
Hey Jen
Glad you were able to get to your homestead. Too bad about the mower, I guess its not getting any fuel, check the fuel filter? see if its clogged. The enthonol in the fuel is really screwing things up so it may be the fuel lines are melting and need replacing. Hang in there jen.
Morning Captain,
I forgot to mention that I actually did remove the fuel line that connects to the plastic thing past the filter outside the carburator and fuel was coming thru the line. Then i let the fuel line hang from the fuel tank and fuel came out thru there so I dunno what the deal is. But it does sound like a fuel issue. Maybe its the carb? I have no idea. All I know is that even after a shower I cant get the gas smell completely off my fingers. Take care Captain and good to see you.
At least you got to spend a little time with Mom and she seemed to like the place!
That's certainly a good thing!
Sorry the mower gave up on you!
I'm beginning to really hate riding lawn mowers. I haven't posted about it yet but I got myself a brand spanking new Craftsman mower ($2000) on a really good sale and the bleepin thing cut out on me after the first two hours of mowing. I had a yard sale this past weekend so I didnt have time to call Sears but I am today and they're gonna hear about it...
Hi HermitJim and thanks. Yes it was time well spent. As for the mower...well, I hope it runs again. Sure seemed alright when it did.
Hi G! Im so sorry to hear yer having issues with a BRAND new mower. That's soooo not good. I hope you get it straightened out and that they honor any warranties on it, fix it or replace it. You spent enough on it so you ought to be able to enjoy it. Good to see you.
Hi Captain!
The smell of gas finally disappeared from my fingers. I dunno how but it did. Congrats on the Hilti...yes'm ya might jus be a redneck! lol Take care.
Enjoyed reading the blog and was nice to have some time with your Mom.
Thank you Ms. Frann. It was a nice day with her. Hope all is well with you. and thanks fer stoppin' by.
Hi Jen, haven't stopped by for awhile so I decided to come on over for a cup of e-mail coffee. Two things come to mind on your lawn mower#1 gas problem,not getting through,plugged up line or filter#2 air cleaner totally clogged.I had a craftsman that the plug wire would vibrate off the plug but you could not see it because it would not come all the way off. It must have been nice to have your mom with you. My mom was a real outdoorsy type unfortionatly she passed away the day we signed on the cabin and never did get to see it. Take the time to be with your mom, they don't live forever , Take care
Bob & Carol aka flatwater aka offgridbob
Hi Flats,
It is good to see you. Thank you for the advice on the riding mower issue. I will certainly check on all that you mentioned could be wrong with it next time I head out there. Any advice is surely appreciated.
Yes, it was nice to have Mom with me. She wont go as often as I do but when she does I try to make it kinda special. My sympathies to you on the passing of your Mother. I know that had to be hard on you. I hope things are coming along at the cabin with you and Ms. Carol. Ive got lots of catch up reading to do. Take good care and thank you for stopping by.
Post a Comment