Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I had a day off today.

I ended up having the entire day off. I had originally requested 4hours off of work for today to run some very important personal errands but it ended up extending way past 4hrs. When I was done with my errands, I called my boss and he said since there was not much going on that I should just take the rest of the day off and enjoy it so I said ok.
I was in the vicinity of my country place so I went by to check on it. I parked on the road looking at the property disgusted with the tall tall weeds. I drove from one end of the property to the other on the road when I see a truck way down at the stop sign turning on to the road. I recognized it immediately. It was my neighbors who keep an eye on my place. They are a retired couple and really nice folks. He said he hadda swing by to see who the truck was goin' back n' forth lol.... since they didnt expect me there. It was a good thing I ran into them because I needed to give them my new phone number in case something happens and they needa git a hold of me. We talked fer a lil bit and I thanked them for keeping an eye on my place and told them that I surely appreciate it. Then we parted ways.
I drove into my property and spent about an hour or so there. It was horribly hot then out of nowhere a swarm of mosquito's just swarmed in. Damn I'd never seen that many at once. I was totally unprepared for the visit, much less an extended visit. I could also hear a constant buzzing that was all too familiar but I could not locate the swarm of bees thru that thick brush.
Then I sat under the tree and I saw movement. It was a cat, someones cat or a feral cat. It is hiding in the area where I stow away the broken lawnmowers which is a good thing because I had seen some moles there that have dug some holes and have taken residence. I couldn't tell if it was a male or female cat and if it was pregnant or not. I couldn't hear kittens cuz I got pretty close. I don't exactly care for cats as far as picking them up and lovin' on 'em but I don't mind if there is one or a couple on the property to keep rodents at bay. I don't know if cats eat dog food but I had a lil dog food in my truck that I use to feed strays. I left a lil bit and some water for 'em. Maybe I'll buy some cheap cat food to leave evertime I go out there. I didn't bother the cat and just let it be. It is good shelter for it.
When I got home in the city, I was kinna bored so I started messing with a lil solar panel that was a part of a shed light outfit from Harbor Freight. My conclusion is that it will serve well as a trickle battery charger in full sun. I will elaborate more on that at a later time.
Oh yeah, I hadda make a Dollar General run and found the book called All New Square Foot Gardening...Grow More in Less Space by Mel Bartholomew. I just started reading it and so far so good. I paid $5.00 for it...a small price for useful information. I have always liked the idea of square foot gardening. I also got Mom a new word search book...she loves doing those.
Im tired now. It has been a long day for me but glad I got those errands out of the way. Thanks fer stoppin by, until next time..see you on the backroads.

**PS..I dont know what is happening to the comments ppl leave. When I click to moderate them it disappears. Has anyone else experienced this? I have contacted Blogger about this but no answers as of yet. Please dont hesitate to leave comments anyway to see if this has been resolved. Thank you.

6 comments:

stella said...

Hey Jenny thas a great buy on that book. I dont think our dollar store has books of any kind.
Hope ya had a nice evening to relax a bit before the work week starts. Especially with the heat. Now we are having typical weather for this time of year. Hot an humid.

G. said...

I had a dream about you the other night. I was lost somewhere in the boonies and came across this little building. I was sitting under a tree when you pulled up in the truck and asked why I was trespassing on your property. I explained I had no idea how I got there but you looked familiar. We then got to talking and realized that we knew each other from blogging.

Jen said...

Hey Stelly, thanks fer stoppin by. The dollar store i went to is called Dollar General. Books are in the section where the coloring books are. I really like the book. You are a big farming outfit so Im not sure you would like square foot gardening. lol. Let me know either way if you would like me to git you a copy.
Talk about heat, is really really hot out here. We got some kinna tropical depression goin' on now so that humidity is out of this world.

Jen said...

Awww G. That's so sweet. Welcome to Texas...even if it was a dream. I hope there was a nice breeze under the tree for ya and that my lil house in the brush was welcoming. I too have dreamed of people I've never actually met in person.
I will forever treasure the pretty lil tray and trinket boxes you sent to me. They are absolutely adorable and nice to look at...come all the way from Georgia.

Anonymous said...

SQ Ft gardening is a great deal..this is our 2nd year with it and the garden is very easy and no weeds. Use 2x8s (not 2x6) as the "magic dirt" will settle and sink down a couple inches. 1/3 peat moss,1/3 ORGANIC compost, 1/3 course vermiculite....mix it all together by hand and dump into the boxes.

good luck from Fort Worth area.

Bill & Caren

Jen said...

Bill and Caren,
Thanks fer the advice on using 2x8's instead of 2x6's. I know I have scrap 2x6 not sure if i have any 2x8's. When you first got started on yer Square foot garden, did yall start seeds in separate trays or did you plant directly into the "majic dirt"?
It is so wonderful to know ppl who have actually tried this with great results. Yall come back now, ya hear. Will leave the lamp on for ya.