Thursday, December 23, 2010

Merry Christmas from way down South Texas

Ok..I've been really really bad about not keeping up with my blog. It's not that I don't want to keep up it's just that I haven't made the time. Its always something or other. For example, I've battled a nasty nasty cold, one of my cousins passed away of liver failure and a metastasized ovarian tumor, I've had to adjust to some medication changes that the doc has made, blah blah blah.

I haven't been able to spend alot of time at my lil country place either. I guess in the last two months or so I have only been there two maybe three times. Everytime I go there I never wanna come back. Its peaceful there and I like that I dont have to live according to no one else's rules but my own. I like walking aimlessly on my property and making my own trails. I get lost in thought completely losing track of time. I am always thinking of just wanting to live a simplified life. I dont mean that I dont want to do physical work...I enjoy working on my own stuff and find satisfaction in it. I just mean that I want to rid of possessions that have no practicality in them. I admit that I am a pack rat and have a hard time letting go of certain things because I feel that "I might need that someday" then 5yrs later its still there..untouched and unscathed. No more! I see where stuff is starting to clutter and I just cant have that.

I am on a four day weekend off!! Yay!! Then next week we only work Tues, Wed, Thurs and off Fri, Sat, Sun for the New Years Holiday, though I have to go into work on Saturday morning for about two hours *frown*.

It was in the lower 80's for the highs for most of the week except today. It felt like summer again. Today we stayed in the 60's for the highs. It would be great if it stayed in the 60's year round. Tomorrow night(Christmas Eve) we are supposed to get hit with another cold front dipping into the upper 20'/30's. This is COLD fer us South Texans. I'm glad that I don't have any pipes to worry about at that lil place-o-mine.

We will be spending some time with my lil nephews fer Christmas. They are so cute and are doing really really well in school. They are 4 and 6yrs old. They truly are like my babies and I am looking forward to seeing them.

I too hope that you will be spending some nice family time with your loved ones this holiday season. I hope that you can all sit together and share a holiday meal. And dont fergit to remind the lil ones to leave some cookies n' milk out fer Santa Claus. I'm going to leave Santa Claus a big o' mess-o-bbq fixins' on the table with all the trimmings and some cold beer. I know he'll be busy and most likely hungry when he gits here. I know he'll be strung up on sugar from all the cookies so he may appreciate the bbq and an after dinner cigar 'fore he heads back out. Of course his reindeer will git plenty o' fresh coastal grass and water as well.

From my lil house to yers..Merry Christmas.

(photo from early spring taken from the road) **click on photo to enlarge

8 comments:

stella said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours Jenny, and a Happy New Year. lub ya bunches

Jen said...

Thankee Stelly, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yer family. Lubs ya too.

Unknown said...

Hi Jen,
Thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hello, I could not sleep a wink so I am up making some of that easy bread right now.
Went to Sam's last night and bought flour and yeast in bulk so I am set for a couple of months to make bread. When I get out to my property in New Mexico some day I would like to build an outdoor Adobe oven. I would love to be off grid completely some day. I love that you are building your place on your own from scratch. I have a facination with straw bale homes, I would love to build one.
Hope you have a peaceful and relaxing holiday with your family.

Unknown said...

Jen, I hope you have a wonderful time with your little nephew on Christmas, those are the moments that really matter. Looking forward to seeing what your up to in the coming year.

tbsomeday said...

Merry Christmas to you as well!
oh i'd love to just go disappear at your place too...it sounds heavenly!

keep warm down there
do they make coats in texas? :)

ps--i think santa will love his ribs and beer!

Jen said...

Laura, now you got me in bread baking mode. I think I will bake some bread later. Gotta take my Mom on an errand(which usually turns into 3 or 4). Ive been thru New Mexico off of I-10. It was very pretty there. That is an ideal place to be off grid. I think a strawbale house and adobe oven would be GREAT! I would love to follow your documentation on progress from the start. I know you can do it. It is not easy mentally and physically sometimes but when you want it real bad you will keep at it.
Enjoy yer holidays with yer family. Its great being with the kids at Christmas. Happy Holidays.

tbsomeday,
You are welcome to ride South with Santa. Plenty o' food to go around. I'll keep the pit at a good smoke and a nice lil fire to take the chill off so make yerself at home.
I started laughing at the coat question lolololol. Our coats dont get used much so they look kinda new even after a few years :) . Merry Christmas to you and yer family.

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Sorry to hear about your cousin Jen, thats really too bad. I hear ya on the clutter bit, I used to pack stuff here all the time, but I kinda seen where it was leading to also, so I put a little thought into it now, if I get the urge to drag some junk home. Have yourself a very merry Christmas Jen.

Jen said...

Thank you for the sentiments Hermit. I am glad my cousins pain and suffering is over.
I am going to start decluttering reeeeal soon. There's alotta stuff that I just dont need or will ever need and i need to get it out. You too have a wonderful and Merry Christmas Hermit.