I been gone too long once again. Too many irons in the fire have set me back on my blog but those have been taken care of so I'm back again.
We've been having some really good spring like weather with a few showers here and there. Spring is definitely around the corner as some wildflowers have begun to spring up. Yesterday I saw some Texas Paintbrush flowers. They are very similar to Indian Paintbrush flower just pinkish. Beautiful flowers they are. There weren't that many, yet. I've also seen some Verbena's here and there and the Showy Primrose never really left us. Texas wildflowers are beautiful but they can take over yer yard real fast if not kept up with the mowing. Dont ask me how I know.
Oh yeah, I struck a gold mine! The man at work gave me some fine hand tools. Said he has too many and knows I will need them since I am startin' up a lil homestead and that I wont have to spend any money this way. I've needed alot of those tools just hadnt got around to buying any. He's a nice ol' guy and I really appreciated the gifts. Some were his and some his late Dad's. He said he knew that I would take care of them and appreciate them so thats why he chose to give them to me. I felt like a kid at Christmas!!! You can check 'em out here(copy and paste) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eAJ1ewg-AA
Also, when I went to the homestead last weekend the wasp and yellow jacket problem continued. There were lots and lots of them inside the lil cabin. I had some kinda wasp spray that I sprayed. I killed several but they kept coming out of nowhere. So I went outside and I found a small hole that I saw them flying in and out of. I sprayed with poison and it seemed like hundreds were flying out. The only thing i had on hand was a can of good ol' expanding foam so I went to town on it. Then I went around the lil house spraying any crack i could find until I ran out of foam. It looks tacky but I had to do what i had to do. When I go back next week or sometime I will shave the foam to be flush with the building. Aesthetics are not my priority right now but the bees are. Then I went back Wednesday and didnt see one bee inside. I dont know if I took care of the problem or what.
While I was there, I got a lil video put together of the unfinished interior of my cabin as requested by some of yall. Please be warned that right now it looks like a shed and kinda being used as a shed fer material etc so pardon the clutter. It just has to be that way fer now. It will change in the future. The beauty of having yer own lil place like this is that there is NO-ONE to dictate how soon you have to finish something or how it must be built. I am paying as I go so there will be pauses, some long, in between. Most importantly it keeps me dry! Anyhow, here is the video(copy and paste) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7goT9frg5Hk
Oh yeah, I been helping the man from work that gave me the hand tools till up his garden. It wont be very big but enough. I was over there this past Friday after work tilling and sifting grass clumps. His wife asks me, 'Jen, aren't you tired? You've worked all day and now some more in this here garden.' I said, 'I'm a lil tired Ma'am but this is like calm therapy fer me and helps me wind down because I enjoy it.' We made progress as compared to what it looked like before. I will take pics next time I am out there. They said I can plant anything I wanted there too. :)
In other news gas prices finally reached us at 3.19 a gallon. I dont know what it is this very day but it was 3.19 on Friday. I haven't left the house since then. How are people supposed to afford to go to work? I drive a 32mile round trip M-F and my truck hogs gas!
Gotta go fer now just wanted to catch you up on my lil world. Thanks fer stoppin' by. Until next time, see you on the back roads.
12 comments:
Wow Jen, you made out like a bandit. Congrats. BTW OLD tools are the best to have around. They've already lasted for ever and will still outlast new tools.
Howdy tffnguy..! And thanks. Yup these tools definitely show wear but are very sturdy and rugged. They sure dont make tools like they use to. I need to learn how to sharpen stuff like axes. Also, I need to take that clump of rust off the pik somehow. Thanks fer stoppin by.
woohoo on the tools!
that was very nice of that guy!
thanks for the video tour
i thought your expandable foam was a good idea
love the cabin--nice and cozy
i'm SO jealous of the wildflowers
you should post some pics of those for us northerners...where spring seems a million years away yet
ps--very cool about the garden
Hi tbsomeday.
I will certainly post pics of the wildflowers when they are in larger numbers. Right now they are still peeking out here and there. Today is a balmy 76 degrees. I cant imagine being under snow right now. Glad you liked the tour. It will look like home someday. Thank you fer stoppin' by.
Nice tools..they will clean up. Wish I had that little shovel to did some post holes. There are just more bugs and varmints when you live out in the country. Looks like you handled it well!
Hi Ms. Frann and thanks! Those tools are going to come in REAL handy. I especially like the sharp shooter fer startin' post holes. It has a curvy edge to it to break into the ground a bit better. Yes'm lots more critters in the country. And thats cause the bee's really aint even started yet. Good to see you Ma'am and thanks fer stoppin' by.
Lucky you, Jen. Well, I rekin not luck...that feller sure must think a lot of you(as we do)to give you family tools! Maybe it would be a good idea to get some replacement handles for the future.
Hello Ms. Deb
Far as the tools, the man never had any kids of his own. Said he'd rather know where his stuff is going and rather me have it cause he said he knew I would take care of it and put it to good use. Yes'm I do think replacement handles is a good idee. Definitely something to look into. Good to see you Ma'am.
Hey Jen,
I see that you have four people commenting on your blog and now Im the fifth. Something tells me that your another John Wells in the making. About the gas prices, here in Flour Bluff on Saturday. 93 octange gas was $3.55 a gallon and climbing. Im driving as little as possible right now. Hang in there Jen, drive slowly and save gas.
Hey Captain...Good to see ya! Im not sure bout bein' another John Wells. He sure has accomplished alot. I like how he has situated himself. Gas prices are ridiculously high! It has stayed steady at 3.19 right now but that is the cheap gas. There's no way out of it Captain, I gotta drive whether I want to or not. I usually cruise it in the morning though. I'm usually not in a hurry to git to work :). Thanks fer stoppin' by.
Hi, Jen...Long time/no see..Had some PC probs but up and running and wanting to keep blogging and blog-hopping~!! Glad that I kept your blog on my faves..Always from the beginning of your blog, you have been lucky with finding "stuff" for your home, I remember the lumber before..Good to get caught up, and loved the videos, thanks for the look...
Best of EVERYTHING for you, kiddo~!!
Old friend, Margaret...
Hello Margaret. Good to see you! I hope that everything else is ok and glad you got yer pc running. I feel lost when my pc quits running.
You know, sometimes people throw stuff that is still fully functional. The fence fer example will come in handy fer what I need it for. The tools I got I feel very lucky to get. Glad you enjoyed the videos. It kinda gives people a more personal look. Good to have ya back and thanks fer remembering my blog.
Post a Comment