It is cold out here! We native South Texans are not use to temperatures in the lower 20's and wind chill factors in single and teen digits. The weather people say we are gonna have light snow and sleet accumulations of 1 to 3 inches and ice accumulation! Wth? I applaud all of you that live in frigid temps like these or colder. I couldn't do it fer extended periods of time.
My oil lamps are on standby, as usual. My 12v battery and cold cathode lights are ready to go. We got plenty of food so we are ready for any power outages if they come. I always have plenty of reading material. I cannot be without reading and writing material.
On a different note, I went to Dollar General a coupla days ago and they have stocked their seed. I bought three packages of green onion seed and a coupla packages of Grandpa Ott Morning glories(heirloom variety) and Scarlett O'Hara Morning Glory. I think Morning Glories are so pretty and best of all they thrive in sun and poor, dry soil which I have alot of at my lil country place. I will be going back for more seed probably this weekend if driving conditions are ok.
That's about it fer now. Nothing really exciting going on. Thanks fer stoppin' by. Until next time, see you on the back roads.
5 comments:
Brrrr... no temps like that here in Oregon. It's been surprisingly nice here. And I'm with you on the books. I can make it through anything as long as I have reading material.
It's pretty toasty way up here Jen. lol. It's funny how that works. It's just like spring.
Ruth...I would figure that its cold and rainy up there in Oregon. I really wish this cold snap was over. Its 28degrees currently. Thanks fer stoppin by.
Hermit...I cant believe you said its toasty up yer way. Its normally toasty down here. I just saw tons of snow on yer roof not long ago. lol. Enjoy it while you can. Good to see you.
Hey Jen
its 2:34 am and Im cccoold. cant see any snow yet and dont want to. Winds still blowing at about 15-20 mph out of the north. You got a 12v battery and cathode lights? thats cool. I got a generator, lots of fuel and one of those lanterns with an led bulb.
You can darn well bet when I build a cabin or have another house built on some land it will have one hell of a fireplace or real effiencent wood stove.
I need to look into getting some seeds, I have a large backyard with large scrub oak tree and nothing else. I've been comtemplating a raised garden for some vegetables. whats your opinon' jen?
Good Morning Captain,
There is ice/sleet all over the grass and sidewalks iced over this early morning. Not exactly how I like starting my mornings.
I think a fireplace or woodstove would be great though the woodstove would have dual purpose vs. the fireplace.
Your backyard sounds lonely. I would definitely do something with it. GO FOR IT!! Raised beds would look very nice and tidy. There is alot of info of raised beds online. That is what I want to do at my lil place though I am going to experiment with planting directly in the ground as well with a coupla seed but raised beds is what I want to go with. There is a nice lil book called The Backyard Homestead by Carleen Madigan. It is handy to have. She shows you what you can raise on very little land. Of course I like Backwoods Home Magazine and Urban Farm Magazine. I wasn't too fond of Mother Earth Magazine but the March/April issues had some good info in it so I bought it and the current issue has some really good gardening info. Texas Gardner is another good one. You can start seed indoors and even do container gardening. Let me know what you decide to do. It would be a great experiment. Good to see you Captain.
Post a Comment