Thursday, May 28, 2009

Country roads take me home.....

Today I was feeling much better than I had been feeling the past 2 days. I had to make a trip to my country place. After some procrastination, I loaded up the truck with stuff that needed to be taken over there. Also, I had to drop off the deck plank loot. I took my time driving there. As I drove through a valley, it became obvious that the amount of rainfall that we had received the past few days did us some good. I could see for miles and miles the color green...I'd almost forgot what the color green looked like since we've been in a drought with burn bans far back as i can remember. I enjoyed the rest of my drive watchin' cattle graze, mesquite trees dancing slowly to the softness of the wind and country roads that go as far as the eye can see. When I got to El Chiquito, I was greeted with the same green grass that I saw in the valley. What a welcoming sight. My grass had been crunchy brown for months and months. I quickly noticed that all the bird feeders were empty. It had probably been a week or so that me and my little nephew filled them. I parked in my usual spot and sat there for a couple of seconds to take it all in. I feel so comfortable when I am there. I feel like I'm home. I then got out of the truck and did my usual walk around the property. After looking at my next step with the cabin project, I started making mental notes. Some time went by and I wanted to see how my chili pequin peppers were doing. Before my Gramma passed, we sat discussing how the freeze we got froze some of them. But she told me what to do and after doing that she was right...the new leaves are green as can be and will give fruit again. I miss her. After some piddlin around, I decided that i was going to put in the last three rafters. So I go to the trailer to get my toolbelt, generator etc when low and behold.....I forgot to bring the ladder!!! Well so much for that idea. Shortly afterwards, I dropped off some material that I brought then I had to leave as I had to have something done by 7pm. I enjoyed my ride back home to the city as well. It was hot well into the very high 90's so I couldn't wait to jump in the shower. Did that, had dinner with Mom and called it a day. Until next time....see you in the backroads.

No comments: