Today we got done with all the packing and moving of my late Grandmother's belongings. She lived in a lil' apartment in a quiet senior community. It was a bitter sweet time knowing that we will never walk in there and see her again. I know she's gone and call me crazy but that is the way it felt. At the same time, we were glad that all the packing and moving was finally done. After making two trips to the storage unit, me, my lil nephew and Ma decided to stop at the cemetary since it is on the way. I had purposely packed my weedeater to edge around some family members headstones and our former neighbor who was also our mailman. I promised his elderly mother that I would edge around his headstone and memory bench. I also pruned the lil oak tree that has really low sagging branches that interferes with whoever sits on his memorial bench. I was really tired but these are also things that needed to get done. One final trip to my Gramma's place for lil what-nots and that was it. I did a lil walk-around as my way of saying goodbye. I felt like crying and I know that I would have if I had been alone. So many memories filled each room as it had become a quiet, cozy and comfortable place, the way it should feel when you visit your Gramma. I walked to the door and took one last look and took in the smells of her lil place and that was it. Our time there was done. Forever. I locked the door and walked to my truck where Mom was waitin' for me. I know it was a sad time for her too. We drove in silence for a while before starting a conversation. I think we each knew how we felt.
I am glad to be home right now. I could not wait to jump in the shower so I did and then we ate dinner and here I am.
Until next time, see ya in the backroads.
No comments:
Post a Comment