Sunday, October 24, 2010

Got crabs?

Blue crabs that is....lol. I have had a hankering to go crabbing again. I haven't been in a while and it can be alot of fun. Anything that has to do with fishin' or crabbing is fun. I grew up around saltwater and fishing has always been a big part of my life, in fact, I think it was my first love.

Well anyway, I didn't head too far maybe bout two and a half miles from home. I usually use chicken necks because they are super cheap. I paid 1.15 total for a pack of chicken necks that I had in the freezer so that's all it cost me to go. It can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. I didn't use my drop nets because there really wasn't much depth to the water and when its shallow like that the nets tend to tilt. So, I just tied the chicken necks to some twine and threw them in the water. When I had a crab on, I would have my long handle scoop net ready to scoop it up. They are very tenacious lil creatures and will hold on the chicken neck a long time. I guess I was out there about four hours or so. I can't believe I got tired in that little time, I guess age is catching up...lol.

I got several crab this afternoon but only four of them were keepers. Here in Texas they have to be five inches from spine to spine and there is no bag limit on them.

Here they are...


They were good size. My hand for comparison...


Dinner is served.


They were very tasty with a side of garlic butter. It woulda been better if red taters and sausage was thrown in the boil but I was happy with what I had available at home.

That's it fer now. Now I gotta get psyched up for work tomorrow(ugh). Thanks fer stopping by this lil place-o-mine. Until next time, see you on the back roads.

No comments: