Saturday, October 23, 2010

Got milk?

Thank God its the weekend and that I am off. Yesterday was a very hectic day for me at work and all I could think about was going home.

Yesterday a friend of mine called me to ask if I would like some fresh raw milk non homogenized, non pasteurized straight from the cow. Her son works part time as a ranch hand and they have been milking cows twice a day and his boss told him to take quite a big batch home and so he did. Well, his Mom just happen to know of a few people that could appreciate the fresh milk and I got a gallon of it. After letting it sit in the fridge all night long, it tasted great this morning. I AM A MILK LOVER so this went down real good. After a while, the cream had separated again and so I decided to try my hand at some quick and easy butter. It wasn't very much cream that I skimmed but enough to taste homemade butter. I have never made it before. I know alot of you have probably made it dozens of times so I hope I don't bore you with this post.

After a lil research online this is what I did:

First I skimmed the milk, then I let the cream sit to a about 76 degrees or so in a clean canning jar. By the way, you can use heavy cream you buy in the grocery store as well for this.


After shaking it manually for about 20min. you will see the butter start to coagulate. Then I strained out the buttermilk.


Then I rinsed the butter with water, shook the jar some more and strained again and this is what I came up with:

Then the taste test:


This butter was amazingly light, creamy, sweet and delicious. I put just a smidgen of salt almost undetectable. It was the best.

For those of you that are fortunate to have milking cows or goats you are very lucky. I have always wanted a milking cow and someday I will have one or two. Nature really is the best whether its straight from the cow, the goat, the ground or treees or bees it really is the best!

I am seeing debates about the comsumption of raw milk on the internet for reasons that they say are not healthy for you. I think they are full of s*it. This raw milk is delicious and I wish I had it everyday.

My next feat is homemade bread. I am in no mood to go to the store right now for yeast but maybe I will go later. I have all the ingredients I need to bake bread except for yeast. I have never made a loaf of bread in my life but I look forward to it. I am tired of having to run to the store every time we need something which is why I am striving for a more self sufficient lifestyle. One of the projects on my list is a solar oven for breads and other foods. I don't plan on hooking up to the grid anytime soon at my country place. I'm gettin' real tired of giving my money away to companies.

Thanks fer stoppin' by this lil place-o-mine, I surely enjoyed yer visit. I hope you enjoyed the bread n' homemade butter. Until next time, see you on the backroads.

6 comments:

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

I can remember quite a long time ago when I was living on the farm with my folks and some people we knew brought us there milk cow for a week or so, because they were going on holidays or something. I had my share of milking and we did experiment with butter and all that also. It was good, but I don't know if I would want that daily chore of milking a cow everyday and all the time. I have been using powdered milk for the last year now. I don't mean to grosse you out or anything, but you do aquire a taste for it after while.

Jen said...

Hi Hermit,
I actually have a box of dry milk in the pantry. It's not so bad. I've used it in cereal and to drink. However, I have enjoyed the raw milk my friend gave to me. I would love to have a dairy cow to make cheese, yogurt, and cottage cheese. I might get really fat that way though..lol.

stella said...

thas soo cool jenny, i love usin fresh milk, dont have a source here now but someday i will have a milk cow, well jason will have a cow to milk for me lol nothing like homemade butter tho.

Jen said...

Hi Stelly,
Fresh milk is the best hands down! You definitely need a milk cow on the farm so that you can make me some garlic cheez. :). I'm sure Jason would be thrilled to milk it.....*evil grin..lol. ~ 'Jenny'

Gregabob said...

That butter looked really tasty! It would be even better on a slice of homemade bread straight outta the oven. If you get a lil breadmaker from a thrift store you'll be able to experiment with different recipes and find one you like. I've been making bread in mine out of 3/4 bread flour, 1/4 whole wheat flour, 2 tablespoons barley flour, a little olive oil and dried rosemary. If you get a small jar of yeast you can store in the fridge and make bread whenever you want.

Jen said...

Hello Farmer Greg,
Long time no see. The butter was delicious and may make some more as I got 2 more fresh gallons of raw milk yesterday.
Thanks fer the bread idea. I still cant make it to the grocery store fer the yeast. I try to avoid stores all together but I really needa try my hand at bread. I dont have a bread maker but I do have loaf pans so I will try that first.
I hope all is well with you and glad you stopped by fer a cold glass of tea. Take care.