Saturday, October 30, 2010

Just a rant.

Today I went to Walmart to get some necessities and one or two things that I just wanted that were 7.00 and 5.00.

Mind you, I am pretty good and frugal about buying groceries, necessities and comparing prices. But dang it! Well, $73.00 later and only FOUR grocery bags to show for was a bit ridiculous. I couldn't believe it. I was totally beside myself. The most expensive thing was the cheapest black ink cartridge I could find at $21 bucks.

It is awful that we need money to try and make a life. But I for one am tired of giving my money to big companies or any companies. I know that there are things that just have to be bought, no question but I have got to learn how to make more things here at home. I try to buy in bulk when I can and freeze and that really does save money.

I know I am going nowhere with this post but it really about kilt me to know that it cost almost $100 bucks for FOUR grocery bags worth of stuff.

Ok, off my rant now. I hope yer havin' a great weekend. Thanks fer stoppin' by.

9 comments:

Mo said...

I share your view. Around here, food especially has gone up dramatically. My fear is this is just the beginning. If fuel goes back up to what it was in 2008 - and we're just about a buck away from that now locally, the wheels are really going to start falling off the wagon.

All that is compounded by the loss of jobs reduction in wages. In the construction trades I'm seeing guys working for wages I worked for over 20 years ago. In today's money that ain't a living wage. I seriously doubt they're licensed, bonded or insured, let alone paying any taxes... Scary times and the road ahead looks mighty rough...

Gracie said...

Jen, feel the very same, ya go to one store to pick up only what you need, an it seems it's alas more costly then the last time you bought it. Know there are pick pockets out there, but neber thought it would be the groceries going for your muh last dime!

Jen said...

Hi Mo. I have been a victim of serious wage reduction. It is awful. I am making what I made back in about 1994. My construction trade seems to be at a freeze. No work of it anywhere near or far that I have found.
I remember that in 2001, when I left California to come back home, the cheap gas was at about $3.01 a gallon. Gas here is currently at $2.55 a gallon and my truck is a hogger. I think you might be right Mo, this might just be the beginning. Very scary indeed.

Hi Gracie,
Thank you for stopping by my blog. You know, my Mom was just sayin' the other day when she went to the grocery store that some of the items she buys regularly had gone up in price. I think one of the items was potato's. It is ridiculous. We need to plan carefully.

Mo said...

Gas here is $3.10 currently... It got up to $4.54 the summer of 2008, drove up prices (literally). I don't expect we'll enjoy "cheap" fuel much longer which might be what triggers the new paradigm, whatever that might be.

Jen said...

Dang Mo...$3.10 a gallon is still alot. I do remember when we had a huge hike in gas last year or year before. It was awful. If gas hits to $3.00 a gallon here I would need a local job that is walking distance.

Lori said...

I hear you, grocery shopping can be down right depressing. Was thinking about this other day and I miss the days you could get a whole cart stuffed for under 100. Dont think we will see that again.

Jen said...

Lori,
I remember spending like $80.00 and buying enough groceries fer like two months. Those days are long gone. I fear it will get worse.

Gregabob said...

I have discovered '99cent' stores. Loads of good deals if you know what you need and they have it when you visit. You have to be able to load up when you find things there as next time they'll be out! I've been able to score bread flour for a dollar per bag, olives in a #10 can for a buck, organic breakfast cereal for $1 per box.....and I finally scored an oil lamp at an antique store last weekend for $35! Now all I need are some wicks...good deals are out there, sometimes in unusual places.

Jen said...

Good score on that stuff. Those dollar stores are great for some things. At Dollar General, things can cost more than a dollar but at Dollar Tree ALL things really are a dollar. Nonetheless, those stores are great like when you need something quick you can avoid the big grocery stores.
Funny you mention oil lamps as I love oil lamps and have a small collection going on. There is a used furniture place that is on the way to my lil place that I have found two lil lamps at and one at the Goodwill store. I think oil lamps are a great source of light and another great alternative. Thanks fer stoppin by.