Sunday, October 31, 2010

My first homemade loaf of bread.

I want to share my high with you, even if you've baked a million bread loaves in yer life.

Ok, I am high on cloud 9. I just baked my very first loaf of bread out of scratch and it came out delicious! I am beside myself. This is another first for me. Why didn't I do this any sooner? This recipe was super easy that I found online. Yes, I searched very easy white bread recipe's. I will post the recipe at the end of my post. Everybody should bake homemade bread. It is sooooo good and there is something about homemade bread that is very comforting, just like raw milk is. Now I wanna bake another loaf to take to my cousin. My Mother loved it.

Fresh outta the oven.

The aroma was wonderful as it was baking.

The crust has a very light crisp crunch but very soft on the inside. I wished I had more cream from the raw milk to dress the bread in homemade butter. Regardless, the butter we have tasted great on the bread. By the way, that's my Gramma's ol' cutting board.


Now fer the recipe.....

____________________________________________

How to make simple and easy white bread.

This bread is so easy-anyone can make it.
*Note: this is not a bread machine recipe.

Ingredients:

1 cup water
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tbsp (or 1 packet) of quick rise yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
3 cups flour (plus more for kneading) *I used unbleached flour

1. Mix together the water, yeast, and sugar in a bowl. Let sit about 10-15min. until it fluffs out.

2. Add the salt to the 3 cups of flour in a large bowl.

3. Mix the liquid and the dry together and then add the oil.

4. Mix until it comes away from the sides of the bowl, sprinkle some of the last cup of flour on a wooden surface, and knead. Keep adding flour as needed, kneading for about 10 min.

5. Scrape the big bowl clean and coat it with a small bit of oil. Add the dough and cover with a clean tea towel. Place it in a warm spot to rise till doubled in bulk, 1-2 hours.

6. When it has risen, punch the dough down and tip out onto the counter. Roll it out into a rectangle. (about 9 inch x 18 inch) Do not press hard while rolling.

7. Roll it up, tuck in the ends, and place it into a greased bread loaf pan or glass baking dish.

8. Cover and let rise again, till doubled in size. 45 min - 1 hour. (it takes time!)

9. Once risen, brush the top with a bit of beaten egg, and bake for 30 min at 375 (f). (I didn't do the egg thing. I did coat a lil bitty bit of veg. oil on top before puttin' in oven though)

10. Once cooked, remove the bread from the pan immediately and place on a rack to cool.

Let the loaf cool completely before you slice the loaf open. If you slice while it is hot or warm, it will make the loaf dry up faster.

Thank you fer stoppin' by this lil place-o-mine. I hope you enjoyed the bread as I enjoyed you visitin'. Until next time, see you on the backroads.

10 comments:

Mo said...

What time should we come over? For objective testing you know. ;^)

Jen said...

Mo,
If the front gate is wide open or the lamp is on, come on over. Plenty ta eat fer everyone!

Lori said...

Jen, Your bread is beautiful! For sure Im gonna try your recipe.

Jen said...

Thanks Lori. I'm gonna have to bake another loaf soon :) . It is not my original recipe, I found it online but it is super easy. You will love it.

tbsomeday said...

mmmmm
i LOVE the smell of baking bread....even if it turns out terrible...the smell is worth making it alone

i'll have to try this one
i've only made bread from scratch by hand once and it was more like a brick :)

Jen said...

Hello tbsomeday and thanks fer stoppin' by my blog.
This bread smells great while its baking. I must note that when it comes out of the oven the outside seems very hard as do the ends..do not despair..it will soften as it starts to cool down. This recipe is super easy. You will enjoy the bread. Thanks again fer stoppin' by.

Anonymous said...

Jen, Congratulations on baking your own bread, it's just as pretty as a picture! There is nothing better than the smell of baking bread when is cooler ourdoors. An good fer you using your Grandmother's cutting board, good bread is being cut on it to this very day, and she would be so proud of you! Gracie

Jen said...

Hi Gracie and thanks fer the kind words. I would really like to make a solar oven and learn to bake from it. We certainly have the hot weather fer it. Gramma would've liked the bread wif butter and molasses. Its pretty good, if i do say so myself. I enjoyed yer company. Thank you fer stoppin' by.

Gregabob said...

Your first loaf looks great Jen! Now you can experiment with different flours and added ingredients for a 'custom' bread!

Jen said...

Hey Farmer Greg,
Thanks! An onion or garlic-y cheesy bread of some kind sounds good. This bread baking really is simple. No fancy equipment needed. I need to look up more bread recipes...easy ones..lol. Thanks fer stoppin' by.