Sunday, November 7, 2010

Bee stuff.

Went out to that lil place-o-mine this weekend to do some work out there. I had a packed truck with provisions as I had planned to stay the entire weekend.

I have had problems with bees inside the lil house. It is very unnerving to be sitting inside or laying down only to hear the buzzing of a red wasp or yellow jacket.

So what I did was put up some trim board under the soffits and went all around the lil house filling in the gaps with some expanding foam, that is until the nozzles broke off of two of the cans I had. I really wanted some more of the expanding foam but that meant a 12 mile trip into town. I knew that if I did that that when I got back I wasnt gonna wanna do anything! I needed to improvise. Then I remembered that I had some rolls of insulation that I had not even used yet so I went and tore off pieces of it to tuck into the gaps, even if only temporarily.

The afternoon was gorgeous with temps in the 70's though for some reason it felt really warm. It was getting late and soon the temperature started dropping. But since I had been working with the insulation, it was all over my neck, arms, legs, face. Ok ok I was wearing shorts, tshirt and boots. Who cares I was comfortable. But the damn insulation was VERY itchy. Now I knew this would happen but I was in dire need to get these gaps closed in. I knew that a 'sponge bath' alone wouldnt take this fiberglass completely away. What I needed was an actual shower cause there was no way I was going to lay down on the bed and sheets with this stuff still stuck on me. I guess I coulda called a friend of mine and used their shower but I didn't so I just drove on home. When I started down the long back road, it was such a beautiful sight on top of the hill. The sky was clear and it was just that time right before night towards the western sky that the horizon was a firey orange with blue on top and the brush just outlining the horizon. It was beautiful but I didnt get a picture. I just stared at it was so pretty. It was a quiet and peaceful scene. I hated leaving but the itchies had a hold of me.

The only picture I got was of my 12v deep cycle battery charging with a 15watt solar panel. The solar panel is part of the 45watt solar panel I purchased from Harbor Freight back in 07. There are three panels at 15watts each totaling 45watts. My battery was at 11 volts. Im sure I coulda run one of my cold cathode light setups but I was chancing it. I had the charge controller with me and in no time I had the battery charging. I also hooked up the multimeter to it to look at the jump in voltage. I must've had the battery hooked up about 2hours or so and the sun charged it up to 12.58 volts which is great for such little time. If I had all three panels up it woulda charged it to 13volts. It was late evening so the sun wasn't strong anymore or at its peak which is why the voltage just came to a standstill. I find it fascinating how we can get free energy from the sun.

Battery charging. Charge controller inside box.


Not much else really happening right now other than trying to get psyched up for work tomorrow. I didn't do nothing productive at all today but hang around inside all day. I was sore from having to climb up and down the ladder repeatedly yesterday. I am happy though that what I set out to do at my lil place got done.

I hope you had a great weekend. Thanks fer stopping by this lil place-o-mine. Until next time, see you on the backroads.

2 comments:

oldie said...

Hi Jen,

It sounds like you are making progress on your lil cabin. Have you thought of putting in a solar shower, just for those kind of days. I like the solar panel, and the rapid recharge rate of your battery with just one 15 watt panel.

Jen said...

Good to see you Oldie! I guess I have made a little progress at a time as time and money permit me to.
I actually have a solar shower. Though I have no water in it...go figure. I will have to fill it up next time. I needa put up my gutters and set up my rain barrel out back. I'd really like to get me one of those containers with a valve at the bottom that hold like 250 gallons.
The solar panel kit has been a good learning tool. I didnt wanna spend an arm and a leg because I didnt know if solar was gonna be for me or not. But now I love tinkering with solar stuff. Right now they have the solar kit at Harbor Freight for $149. You can probly cut the coupon out fer it if you go to the website and browse thru the fliers then print the coupon out. Let me know if you need help with it.
Thanks fer stoppin' by Oldie.