My homemade with my own two hands lil house in the brush, where life is quiet and the world a thousand miles away!
I have not been online much due to server problems. It seems as of late this is happening too often. I am getting tired of this provider company so I am startin' to look around.
On a different note, the county finally delivered a dump load of caliche...(pronounced cuh-lee-chee)on Thursday. Definition of caliche: A white calcarious crust found at or near the surface in arid regions, formed from the evaporation of rainwater.
I had called them over two months ago to put my name on the list. They give you two loads and sometimes more if they have too much of caliche. It is very abundant in these parts. For those of you that are not familiar with caliche we use it to pave driveways. Actually it is a cheap way to pave a driveway and it is used widely around these parts. It packs well over a period of time. Since the area where I usually like to park my truck gets very muddy and messy when it rains alot and I WILL get the truck stuck even with 4x4 making it impossible to get out but rather sink and sink. Been there done that.
I told the delivery man when he called me on the phone to drive on in all the way towards the picnic table and to look to his right and he will see two bright pink ribbon markers and that is where I need him to dump it. Something inside me told me it wouldnt be where I asked him to put it. Well, I get there today and he dumped it by the entrance...about 100ft from where I needed it!
This makes it hard for me now and double the work to load it by shovel and put it where I wanted it. I will be honest and say that it overwhelmed me when I stood next to it. I moped about it fer a while knowing that the only way to do it in a timely and safe manner was to pay someone with a front end loader. Ahhh there was my answer but that was out of the question for today and I hadda get over it quick cause it just wasn't gonna happen. So I backed the truck up to the pile and started dumping it in the bed by hand and shovel.
Shoveling rock gets old and very heavy very quickly but I set out to do as much as I could physically do. It tired me out after the first two loads but I was determined to at least put enough down to where I could park my truck in the event it rains. Actually this is where I would like to make it my permanent parking area. Little by little it started to take shape and look like a parking space.
I aggravated my left shoulder again but kept on going until the pain kept getting worse. I'm ok just really sore. I just may get my friend to bring the tractor over next weekend and finish the rest. But I did enough to park my truck so it dont get stuck. This is what it looks like so far. I was happy with my progress.
I think I may have taken care of most of the bee problem. I did however kill three wasps today. I dont know where those came in through. There must be some lil hole Im not seeing that they are crawling through. At least there weren't a ton of 'em like before.
Well I guess that's it fer now. I hope everyone's Spring projects are coming along ok. I'm glad you stopped by fer a lil visit. Until next time, see you on the backroads...or in the brush...whichever comes first!





13 comments:
Too bad I dont live near you, you could use the dump. sorry for teasing, great job.
Hey Jen
Im glad you were able to get back online. Thought we lost you there somewhere.
Went to the gunshow in Robstown this weekend and got blown around in all the wind. (this wind is killing my gas milage) Too bad the dump truck operator was lazy and you had to all that extra work (nice driveway though)
Jen, sorry the guy didn't follow your instructions and caused you much more work. Very inconsiderate of him to say the least. Caliche is what is used up around the Odessa Midland area for oilfield roads and it works real well. Too bad they don't use it on the roads down here. It would sure help a lot.
Hope you come up with a better provider for the internet.
Remember the Tortoise and don't over do it..just keep at it and it will be done before you know it.
wow!
that was some hard work
way to dig in and get it done!
i could use some caliche up my way...our lane is in sad shape after all this melting
course...i won't want to have to shovel and haul it myself :)
Hey Nick...yer such a tease! :)
Hi Captain...I didnt even know about a gun show this weekend. Didja buy anything? Ya it was real windy this weekend, so annoying. The operator said he'd drop the caliche off where I told him. I dunno where his thoughts were. Just caused an inconvenience. Good to see ya Captain.
tffnguy...It would seem like yall got an abundance of caliche out yer way to use fer the roads. I will be so glad when its done. Thank you fer stoppin' by.
Hello Ms. Frann...thank you fer the encouragement. When I see progress it eggs me on to do more. Any progress is good progress. Thank you fer stoppin by Ma'am.
Hello tbsomeday...and thanks. I knew whining wouldn't do me any good but I whined anyway then got over it. Im not sure how I would handle melting snow or even snow fer that matter. If yer gonna git something to throw down on that lane be sure you are there when they deliver it. Thanks fer stoppin by this lil place o mine.
Hi Jen, I dropped in from Annie's Edifex Rex blog and after reading a few posts and your profile, don't think you are crazy at all, but very determined. That was a LOT of work this weekend. Here on the VA eastern shore, folks used crushed oyster/clam shells to put in drives. We just use the back yard at our place. Please feel free to drop in anytime for a visit. Hope your shoulder is feeling better too.
Looks good Jen. That was hard work, I can just tell, but you did pretty good. Hope the body is all in working order still.
Hello Ms. Beatrice so nice of you to stop by and visit. I, too, like reading Annie's blog. Yes'm I agree that was alot of work this past weekend. My shoulder agrees :) since it's still sore. You know, I remember a while back that oyster shell stuff was used alot over here, probly because we are right along the bay. I don't see it used as much over here anymore like caliche. My uncle still has his ol' driveway paved with that oystershell/caliche mixture from way back when...but hey whatever works. I'll drop by to visit soon. Come back now, ya here!
Hi Hermit..always good to see you. Ya it was alotta work and thanks. This body of mine sure is feeling the effects of 'gettin older' lol. Such is life. Thanks fer stopping by. I hope things are coming along for ya. Take care Mark.
Hey, Jen...Haven't forgotten you, my friend from little house in the brush~! So Caliche??? Never too old to learn a new term/word! Sorta' looks like the Missouri "chat" that we used to use..Glad you now have a parkin' place for the truck and you don't sink into the mud while steppin' out~! I like watchin' the progress on your place, Jen..Keep us informed, K????
Happy bloggin'...
Margaret...
Wahhhh....what happened to my post?
Hi Margaret...So nice of you to visit me at this lil place. Yup caliche is one of those weird kinda words you dont hear to much of. Im actually needing to lay the caliche on a lil thicker than what I did but that was all I was physically able to do. Shoveling it gets old real quick. Im glad you enjoy my updates. I havent been there in a coupla weeks, please bear with me on homesteading updates as it is a bit of a drive. Will update more when I spend some time up there which will be soon. Thank you fer stoppin by. Have a great weekend.
Post a Comment