Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ramblings.

Hey yall,

Hope yall had a great weekend. Mine was nice and quiet. I am recovering very well from the sinusitis and bronchitis thank goodness. Thank you all fer the get well wishes.

I hadda work this weekend fer a coupla hours. While at work yesterday(Sat.), we had a nice lil cool front blow through. Since I don't watch TV, I knew nothin' of it. It got windy and drizzly then the sun showed up around lunch then cooled back down to the 50's. I think temps in the 50's is great. Not too hot and not too cold.

Needless to say I didn't go to that lil place-o-mine. I couldn't justify that expense with gas at 3.39 a gallon. It is quiet the drive fer me. I am planning on checking up on things one day this week since I am a quarter of the way there from my job. I dont know if I'll be going up there this upcoming weekend. On Saturday, I got a lil job to do fer extra money. I couldn't refuse the offer and its cash money so I'll be there from about 12pm-8pm or so. This will help as I am trying so hard to save money to start a semester and continue advanced training fer my chosen trade to hopefully find a better paying job and fer personal achievement. It has been so hard trying to save the money fer this. The last time the class started I was so disappointed that I couldn't enroll in it. Hopefully by the time it comes around again I will have it in full. I have always tried to better myself by learning more about what interests me. I will take it upon my self to read and get my hands on stuff that I want to learn how to do. But some things like this training I want I need professional guidance and the equipment and hopefully certification later. I firmly believe that anyone can do anything they wanna do and be anything they wanna be it just depends on how bad you want it.

Yesterday I decided to clean and take note of what all is in my frequently used tool bag. I've had some fittings in there that I never took out from my previous trade job. I guess that somehow I felt that if I took 'em out it was as if I was never going back to that line of work. I sat on the floor and started taking out tools, fittings, odds n' ends then at the bottom of the bag I was left with trash like build up, worn out o-rings, dirty ponytail thingy from being tossed in there fer who knows how long, a pull cord for a lawnmower, a calibration sticker from the 'ol job, clips etc. I kept what I thought I might need later like itty bitty bolts, screws, nuts, washers and put in a lil pill bottle. Then I got all the loose nut and ferrules and put them on a lil cable tie, then I got all the ss fittings and put those in another tool bag with misc. stuff and other fittings. Then I got the tools that I don't frequently use and put 'em in another tool bag. Dang when I got done my bag was soooo much lighter which is great! Now I wont be fumblin' as bad in it when lookin' fer somethin'. Now I just need something to use those tools on. I wanted to take a class in small engine repair but it got cancelled. Note that that is not the class for my trade. I want to take the small engine repair class for personal enrichment and to learn how to maintain my own equipment properly since I have alot of gas powered equipment fer the lil homestead. I've been reading and studying stuff on it here and there.

It may sound odd to yall that as a woman I want to take these kinds of classes that are more oriented towards men but please bear in mind that I'm in this journey to my homestead alone so it is crucial..almost necessary for my sustenance and well-being that I learn this.

Ok now I've talked yer ears off. I'm glad you stopped by fer a visit. I hope yall had a great weekend and that yer off to a good Spring season. Thanks fer stoppin' by. Until next time see you on the back roads.

11 comments:

Gianetta said...

What class are you wanting to take?

Jen said...

Hello G.
Its an instrument tech class. Deals mostly with calibrating instruments in an industrial setting. I will get there come hell or high water. Hope yer doing great and that yer laptop didnt give you any more fits! Thanks fer stoppin' by.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen

I read your latest post and it was cool. I like the idea of small engine repair. I worked on diesels and other engines when I was in the military. One thing I think I will be going to for my generator is a propane conversion. Propane is cleaner and stores forever. Too bad gas is $$$$ and you cant go out to your homestead as much. Hang in there and take care of that wonderful Hilti drill.

tffnguy said...

Jen, I have a tool bag that really ticks me off every time I need a particular tool. Its usually on the bottom and digging down to get it is out so that means dumping the bag every time I need something and then having to put all the tools back in it when finished. I had a large multi drawer tool cabinet in Plano, but figured I wouldn't have a place for it down here so left it behind when I moved (Along with a lot of other tools) Sure wish I'd have brought it now!!!

Anonymous said...

In my former life I was a machining goddess. I spent 40 years working in machine shops. It supported me very nicely for a drop-out from Chicago. I usually made more money than my degreed friends but I worked physically harder and is directly related to my titanium knees.

Jen said...

Hi Captain,
Thanks. I know I've read somewhere on how to do a gas to propane conversion. Just don't remember where. It seems to me that propane would last alot longer than regular unleaded gas would. Thats cool that you worked on engines in the military. Good background to have. I haven't used my Hilti in a while. Its a good tough lil drill I could have never gotten by without it. Lots of torque and power. Thanks fer stoppin by.

Hello tffnguy,
I know what you mean about not being able to find a tool in yer bag lol. It is irritating. Then there you are digging in and get all kinda knicks on yer hands lol. I use to be better organized. I know I have a new Craftsman bag somewhere in the closet(the closet is a scary place)that I never used...i dont think. If ya need it and i ever find it I can send it yer way. Maybe someday you can go get those tools of yers. Ya know you need 'em. Thank you fer stoppin by fer a beer.

Hello Ms. Frann,
You are pretty solid in yer trade. Thats great. I've done instrumentation fer bout six years or so, except fer the current job. I wanna go back to it so bad. I know what you mean about having to work physically harder but if you enjoyed it and made a comfortable living then thats all that matters. Stuff wears out on our bodies. Its just a part of life. Im pushin' 40 and am finding this out. So nice of you to drop by Ma'am.

Margaret Hall said...

Oh, it's just me, Jen...GLAD to find that you are on the mend, for goodness sakes..And, I "hear" ya on the re-arrangin' the bag..lol.
I have a craft bag with a little vise, pliers..etc, and I have found some extra stuff in there oft times,,junk!
Come over and visit some time when time allows, my friend, would love to have you at any of the blogs..
Til we pass on the road...

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,

go check out the field labs site. The New York times did an article on the field lab and John Wells has a link to it with the best pics of the field lab ever. I gonna see if I can purchase or get copies of those pics.

laters

captaincrunch

LarryLilly said...

I am a woodworking tool junkie. Mechanics tools OTOH, well I have a bunch, dont use them as much however. For your persepctive, a come-a-long, the 5 in 1 multipurpose field fence tool, a chain saw (if there are trees, wood posts if not) a large hammer, a shovel with fiberglass handle, some WD40 and duct tape. If it doesnt move, whack it, if it does, duct tape it tight, if it squeeks, spray some WD40 and if doesnt do what you want smack it a couple of times with the hammer. Dig a hole with the shovel and bury the evidence, I mean body, i mean the parts.

have a great day!

Oh, and dont use regular expand-a-foam, use the softer stuff, the full strength stuff will blow boards off if you used nails to attach them, the less than full strength will fill gaps but not destroy.

LarryLilly said...

Oh, and flower type. Thats easy, I am a lilly. My name means lily in italian. My namesake goes back to the 1600's in Naples Italy. I have a real different last name but they arent speaking. Back in Italy during the 1300-1800's, orphans were given flowers names. I tell people my name has a good and a bad conatation. The good is that I have royal blood in me, the bad is that I am a bastard child LOL.

Reality probably was that my descendents died during the many plaques that swept through Europe and the town folks placed me at the door of the orphanage. They gave me my name and century's later here I am.

Jen said...

Hello Ms. Margaret...Sorry I got behind on my blog. Server problems. Yes, I am feeling soooo much better thank you. There is so much of this crud stuff going on over here. On the tool bag, ya gotta have one. Glad you have one fer yer crafts. NOthing like having stuff scattered when you most need it. I'll stop by and visit soonest. Thanks fer stoppin' by to visit. Stay healthy!

Hiya Captain! Good to see you. I saw the Field Lab article. Is that not cool or what?! He has really made a name fer himself. I like what he has done with the place. That pic with the blue porch light looks awesome!

Hello LarryLilly. Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you found it of some interest. You made me laugh with some of yer writings on yer blog! I will be checking out more of yer blog. Thanks fer the history of yer name and Italy names. You know, my Gramma's maiden name is of Italian descent...at least thats what I read once when I researched it. She never knew of Italian relatives though. Thanks fer stoppin by and hope to see you again.