Thursday, July 23, 2009

Back at El Chiquito...

Dang I cant believe that it has almost been a week since I have posted. Im not trying to abandon my post. I promise.

Yesterday I went on a job interview at a medical office in the big city. I felt that the interview went well. I should know something by tomorrow, Friday. I do miss the medical field. I know that that is where I belong.

I went to Lowe's today to get another panel of siding. I want to enclose this cabin/shack so bad. I also got a window which I feel is too small. It was actually fine until later so I may exchange it tomorrow for one slightly bigger.

I went to my country place this afternoon. Got there around 2-ish. Temperatures were triple digit again...first it read 103, then up to 105 then finally got up to 108 and it stayed there all afternoon. Good gracious. I tend to work slower when its that hot and drink lots of water. Anyway I was determined to put the door in today. I've had that door for several months. The framing I had done for the door was ok but I have kinda been wanting to move it off to the side that way when the door swings open it rests on the wall and it also gives it the feel of a bigger room. So I had some reframing to do. Thank goodness for the ol Milwaukee cordless sawzall. The last time i charged that battery was at least two weeks ago and has held the charge up beautifully.

I was wondering if i was going to be able to carry the door by myself outta the storage trailer but i did fine. This was a first for me as I had never installed a prehung door. It kicked my ass for a lil bit. Got frustrated and overheated. Did I mention it was 108 degrees? I put everything down for a while, drank some water, turned on the truck a/c and took a lil nap. When I woke up I forgot that I was there. lol. Then came the door knob and deadbolt. For some reason the deadbolt part gave me a lil problem but I got it ok and the door. It opens and shuts without effort. With the door in place it gave the lil cabin a whole new different look and feel. I went ahead and put up the siding panel I had removed. It was looking good. Then I hear a diesal engine and I turn around to look towards the road and it looked like the neighbors truck across the road but I wasnt sure. It stopped, I waved, then he pulled up my driveway. I walked up to greet him and he got out the truck and was very polite. He said that he had been wanting to come over and introduce himself for a while. We talked... his dog has also ran away with the yellow lab that roams my place. He told me that if I saw her to call him so he gave me a business card. He seems like good people. Said he's never had a problem with neighbors or anything. I also found out that we got our properties about a month apart. After a long conversation he left and I was losing daylight but I kept on until the daylight was gone. I had a lantern with me so I cleaned up my mess, locked the trailer and left. After I'm done with these panels and installing a front window, I really need to get on the gable ends and soffits then caulk all seams,panels, etc. Its coming along. Its starting to look like a lil home. Im so happy that I've made it this far. Although it was an exhausting afternoon, I made very good progress. But ya wanna know what the highlight of the day was? Well first, the door installation was a BIG milestone but the biggest highlight of the day was when I left the cabin, closed the door and LOCKED my door with my very own keys to my very own lil house!! I am on a high right now and this just motivates me even more and I cant wait until I get out there again. Until next time, see you on the backroads.

PS...and I forgot the camera.

2 comments:

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Sounds like your shack is coming along real good Jen. Thats good to hear. Hope your your weather cools down just a touch for you and good luck with your job interveiw, I hope you get the job.

Jen said...

Thank you Hermit. Once I close it all in I can start staying there. The hot weather does tend to slow me down. But its comin' along.