Saturday, July 25, 2009

Under construction...


(Please excuse my construction mess. As you will also see in the pic the tar paper needs clipping but I am just tickled pink that I have made it this far. Note that the grass is crunchy brown again for lack of rain.)

Yes, El Chiquito is still under construction and will be for a lil while longer. Today I went back to my country place in hopes of attempting to install a window. It was HOT again. It reached up to 111 degrees! It was miserable but somehow I didn't let it bother me too much like it did yesterday. I guess it was the motivation from yesterdays progress that kept me going.

That stupid lizard or salamander....whatever it is scared me again. It is leaving nasty droppings. I heard it shuffling around inside the cabin in some rolled up tar paper I have. It has skin like a rattlesnake! Anyway I killed it with the shovel. It was pretty fat for a lizard and I aint lettin' no reptiles, insects or whatever take up residence inside. Had to spray a wasp nest too inside.

Anyway, after settin' up shop, gettin the generator etc., it was time to get to work. I had never installed a window before so I had been doing alot of research on the matter at home in the city. I'm glad I remembered to bring the jigsaw. It took me a lil while to install the window but eventually i got it pretty good. I kinda took my time on it after it was put in thru the frame. After I nailed it in place, I put some flashing tape around its edges. I didn't get to the trim work but maybe tomorrow if I go I will get on it. I also installed the last siding panel. I have one more small piece to install on the hinge side of the door but I hate to have to buy another whole panel for that small area so Im thinking up something to put in its place. Maybe some scrap corrugated tin that I have. That might work. I know this is taking so long but I'm doing this alone with no prior carpentry experience. I didn't get many pics today either because I was on a roll.

As daylight was leaving me I started to clean up and put things away. It seems that as things are slowly coming together the time I have taken on it isn't so bad considering all that has happened in the past coupla months. There really is a time for everything. I know more today than I did a coupla months ago let alone last week. I stood there at the doorway looking around inside and had a sense of grounding. I know that it is going to be comfortable and cozy enough for me.

I washed up before leaving and thanked God for all the abilities He gave me today. For the gift of having another day at life and for being able to walk and see,build a home and able to get out and do something and to marvel at the beauty of the day in the country. Until next time, see you in the backroads.

2 comments:

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Looks like you are doing a fine job with the shack Jen. I sure don't know how you handle that heat though. Today it was 84 Farenheit here, and that was plenty warm enough for this northern boy. Keep up the good work Jen.

Jen said...

Thanks Hermit. Just taking baby steps here and there. This heat can really slow you down. But heck, I'll take that 84 degrees anytime. Cant wait until you start building Hermit.