Monday, March 8, 2010

My weekend

It was a rather nice weekend. On Saturday I headed out to my lil cabin which is about an hour away. I threw some extra clothes and 12v stuff in my backpack in case I decided to stay the night. I was running a lil bit behind schedule since I took off later than usual. I took my weedeater with me in case things needed tidying up since we have had a good bit of rain. I was hoping the grass wasnt out of hand though. When I got there I was surprised to see that spring had definately arrived at eL Chiquito. My yard had been kissed by wildflowers. It was such a pretty and welcoming sight to see from the road that I got outta my truck and climbed on the toolbox and took a picture of it so that you could see for yourself. My lil house looked so lonesome fer some company so I made it at a good time.
(*click images to enlarge)
After the marveling and all, I drove into the property and was glad to see that things were undisturbed. I have been bothered by the fact that my place was broken into a coupla months ago so I am always feeling anxious when I first get there. I quickly took note that my immediate 'walking' area needed tidying up. Actually it didnt but I dont like seeing weeds n stuff growing right up around or under the cabin or around the front 'steps'.
I had forgot about the dang garden trailer being inside. You see, initially, my front door frame was centered in the middle of the cabin and not the side. And that entrance was real wide and thats how I got the garden trailer in but then I changed my mind about the door placement and moved it not taking into mind that the garden trailer was there. Needless to say I had to take the garden trailer apart from the axle and as I was on my very last bolt I heard a small engine like an atv or something at my front entrance. I had the door wide open and when I looked I recognized who the people were. It was my neighbor/postlady bringing a package that a friend had sent a coupla weeks ago so I motioned them to drive on in. I had told her to hold on to the package for me until I made it out there. It sure is nice to know the postlady and having her fer a neighbor is great. We talked for a good bit about local stuff. She mentioned that more and more people are moving to that little town and we have a new neighbor down the road from us that just closed on their property. Dang, I sure hope that area doesnt crowd us out. We kinna like the way it is now. The temp was dropping some and they headed back home which is about a 1/2 mile or so.
I went inside to open the package. I felt like a child at Christmas. My friend Gia sent me THE CUTEST little table top tray and it even came with matching trinket boxes. I held the little tray in my hands and it didnt take me long to bond with it. She also sent a book and some candy that I ate when I was having a 'moment'. I had a 'moment' when I got my gifts and I wish she'd have been there to give her a Thank You hug. So Gia, Thank You so much for the gifts. It was a nice and sweet gesture. I am posting a pic of the tray and trinket box because it is too pretty not to share.
Time was really going by fast and I decided to go ahead and get some stuff outta the truck and put inside in case I decided to stay. This would be my first official stay inside the cabin since a roof got put on it. I made sure my battery was in check with my multi-meter and had other light sources for back up since I have no power from the power company and am running strictly off-grid. I brought my solar panels but it was a little too late to mess with those so I figured I could do that on Sunday.
A quick trip into town had to be made so off I went. It was a beautiful evening and I was absorbing it as much as possible. After getting a few quick items, it was already dark by the time I got back home. Reeeeeal dark. When I got inside I loaded muh shotgun, ate a lil bit then piddled around with some lighting. A 5-watt..yes five watt 'spiraly' energy saver bulb provided my 16'x16' cabin with more than enough light. It wasn't so bright that it lit up the whole room but it lit up a good bit of it and I could definately see my way around the entire room. I also had my cold cathode lights with me and turned those on with the 5-watt bulb to see how many Ah would be used but it was only maybe like a .3 difference which is nothing but why have the two on when I am fine with only one light source. So I opted to not use the cold cathode light since the other one was just fine where I had it and Im conserving at the same time. I also ran my little tent fan for about 2minutes. I wanted to see how much power it would suck but it it wasnt much either. I got it at WalMart a coupla years ago. It says O2 Cool on it. That lil fan cools very well. Everything I use with a 12v battery is connected straight to the battery or cigarette lighter plug that is connected to the battery. After the piddling around, I did a lil bit of reading and just enjoyed the quietness of the country. Coyotes are always heard in the distance but their howling is somehow a comforting sound. I also tried calling a friend of mine but the reception out there sucks! I got sleepy around 10:30pm or so so I dozed off. I had been asleep for about 2hours when I had to get up to close the window. It got nippy in there and I had no heater with me. Didnt think I needed it or the thicker blanket but I layered up and fell back asleep. When I woke up at 4:17am, I could not fall back asleep. It is not unusual for me to wake up that early and be up for the rest of the day so I turned on the radio to some AM talk show and laid there until daylight. The lil 5-watt bulb stayed on all night and my battery load never fell under 12.43. I was impressed! When I opened the door at 6:15am it was so still and quiet. I put on my boots and stepped outside and walked around only to be greeted by the sounds of a lonesome Tom turkey calling for his love but I dont think his love ever heard him cause he kept gobbling for a looooong time after that. As the day went on it was cloudy one minute and sorta sunny the next but we had some deep dark rainy clouds to the south. All we got was a lil drizzle.
I walked around and took some pics. This one is of two moths mating and a cocoon that has been spun. It was pretty neat.
This lil bouquet is some wild Verbena. I just love Verbena's. The yellow ones are Buttercups. They were pretty so I wanted to share.
A view from my front door looking towards the road.
After I got done with weedeating around the lil house and what nots, I sat on the front step contemplating my next move. Then I went to my 'material' area. This is where I have mostly recycled stuff from a curb, craiglist, or freecycle.com. Anyway, I felt like the place needed something ornamental. Most of my ornamental stuff is in my Moms storage but I did have one ornament inside. So I went and got two cinder blocks and a fence post and some caliche rocks I have picked up off the roadside and came up with this beside the lil house...
I thought it looked good so I left it. Im sure the cinder blocks are going to get painted at some point. I was just kinna bored and the area needed some kind of personal touch. Ive got many other ideas running around in my head but in time I will put them to use. I love piddlin'.

I hope you enjoyed the dime tour and thank you for stopping by. Until next time, see you on the backroads.

5 comments:

Chris W said...

The place looks great Jen. I'm jealous! There's still snow on the ground here! lol

Jen said...

Thank you Dawgus. It was a bit nippy fer me but you would probly think it was warm weather if you think 40's is "warmed up". lol. I cant wait to see yours and Lisa's gardening projects. Hopefully no more frosts. I still dont think we are even out of the danger frosts. The weather has been weird the past several weeks. Thanks fer stopppin' by.

Gregabob said...

Good to hear ya got to spend a nite in ya lil cabin. Feels pretty good to have a snug place to stay don't it? Now you can do work out there and have a warm and dry place to go to after a good day. Oh, the lil flowers are purty too!

Jen said...

Thanks Greg. Yes Sir it does feel good to have a place to put muh head down and not feel rushed about tryin to git home. Glad you liked the lil flowers. It was a welcoming sight. Thanks fer stoppin by and sittin a spell wif me over a glass o sweet ice tea. Sure enjoyed ya company.

Anonymous said...

Nice post...great place you have.

Where's your little dog?

Olivia