Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday woes

I had to work yesterday morning for a coupla hours. It was a beautiful morning to say the least. At least my asst. supervisor made it worth my time and fuel by working more than the usual hour to hour and a half. When I got home around 9:30am me and Mom had breakfast then after some piddlin' around I slept a little longer. I dont know why but lately I have been feeling unrested.
Oh yeah, on Friday afternoon I slammed my right forefinger in the truck door. BAM! Yes, it hurt like hell. I received a punture wound on top of my finger and that part is numb. It didnt take long for my finger to swell up pretty good. Underneath my finger is some blue bruises. I did a lil number on it. I dont think I broke it but there is one area that is questionable. The part where it is numb because there is a lump on it shaped kinda weird. I cant say that Im in excrutiating pain because Im really not. I iced it as soon as it happened and after and have taken some prescription Ibuprofen as needed. The swelling has gone down alot but it is still obviously swollen. It is mobile. I didnt baby this injury. Yesterday though while getting in my truck I accidentally hit my finger on the steering wheel and that made me jump cause the finger is still tender. It is still pretty tender this morning but Im not in pain unless I touch it or accidentally hit it on something. It never fails, something or other is always happening to me.
I was supposed to work today but asst. supervisor called me late evening and said we didnt have to work after all. Im ok with that.
I just found out that one of my best friends got laid off. That is awful. She and I have been like best friends since high school. She was one of the first people I became friends with when we moved to this town my junior year of high school. I heard on the radio that the unemployment rate in Texas has gone up. Jobs are so shitty right now. My friend said she felt like she needed to run away somewhere for a lil while so I told her that maybe next weekend, if she liked, we can go to my country place and hang out. She was instantly all for it! The last time she was there was when I had just discovered the property. It wasnt even mine yet but she was with me the day I looked at it...bare, raw land. If all goes well from here until next weekend, we are going to that lil place-o-mine, hang out, bbq and drive the backroads. She is one of the few friends that has a lil interest in what I am trying to do with my life. She thinks its kinda neat that I built this lil cabin, which she has not seen yet, and curious to know just how it is possible to run lights without being tied to the grid, and just how I plan to sustain myself. I've got a looooooooong way to go with this project before I am settled in. But it is neat to explain it to someone with open ears who shows interest in a homesteading life.
Well, now that Ive talked your ear off the smell of baked chicken and potato's in the oven is calling. Wont you sit down and have dinner with me?! Until next time, see you on the backroads.

3 comments:

Gwen said...

Jen, take care of your finger! I've learned the hard way that car doors always win. Ouch! I'm sorry about your friend. A trip to serenity will definitely help her feel better. I'm thankful that I have a job and so does my husband. I do reserve the right to complain every once in a while. :-) I am surely in the midst of a mini-crisis - I'm frustrated that work keeps me from going to The Home Place more often, but work is necessary to have the money to do the things I want to accomplish. Again, thankful, just wishin' we could spend a few days at the remote property. Take care!

Gianetta said...

Better keep an eye on the finger.

Jen said...

Ginger,
Thanks! I too wish you could spend more time at yer Home Place. But yer right about the job thing...we need it to make our dreams a reality. I keep telling myself that it will all come to pass someday. Ya'll sure do have a lovely place out there.

G,
I sure will keep an eye on the finger. Good thing its still attached and not dangling or necrotic. I once seen a mans thumb that had turned black and charred like charcoal from a baby rattle snake bite! Hope yer doin' well.