Monday, August 10, 2009

Sleepless in Texas...

Boy Lionel Ritchie was wrong about "easy like Sunday mornin". I couldn't get a wink of sleep on Saturday night..talked to one of my best friends till late, went to the store late and bought the paper, was lookin thru the Sunday paper job section and next thing you know its like 4:15am. What the heck so I headed to my country place at about 4:45am or so and had a bite to eat.
Saw the daylight comin' in and the temp was about 81degrees. There was a nice breeze blowing. I also quickly noticed the grass wasnt that crunchy brown anymore, instead it was a sinjed yellow orange. Pretty bad! There was nothing I could do about it anyhow so I commenced to settin' up shop and take advantage of the weather. Got the generator and miter saw ready and measured up the piece of panel that needed installing. Did that and measured out the pieces to frame out the window and door. Piddled around some more and noticed some of the roofing felt on the grass towards the back end of the property so i go and get it. Freakin low and behold...it tore off the roof from the side that isnt finished. So i climb up the ladder to take a look and the entire felt paper is wet. I guess we had scattered showers. Needless to say, all I could see was money down the drain. I knew that I was NOT going to be able to get to it that very day because I was pretty close to the 24hour mark that I hadnt slept and I started to feel it set in. I also felt the temperature gettin' hotter.
No use in moping but I'd be lyin' if I said I wasn't upset by it. I was feeling dehydrated so i took a break, drank water and was eatin ice and sat on a chair inside the cabin where the breeze was still somewhat cool. I musta fallen asleep for bout 10minutes or so and after that I was totally useless. I tried to fight it but my body was cryin' for some real sleep.
I started to cut the measured out 1x4's that were going to frame the window and door and got all those cut but by then I was really draggin' ass and the heat was intensifying quick. I knew that I was just diggin' a deeper hole so I wrapped it up, put my tools away and locked up. *For those of you that live in cooler climates, you have no idea how lucky you are to have temps in the 60's and 70's for your highs in the summer.* I'd also be lyin' if I said that I didnt feel guilty for leaving because I did feel guilty for leaving. It aint exactly a hop, skip, and a jump to get there. I also dreaded the drive and at one point I got zoned out which was scary. So I called my cousin and talked to her and she kept me awake until I got home. It was official, I was up for 24 hours. Took a shower, ate and went to sleep.
Stress is somthin' awful I mean to tell ya. I can't remember the last time I had a good nights sleep. Today it's back to the job search. It's gettin' old. I'm sick and tired of it. I did get a possible job lead tho by a friend of my mom's but its not for certain yet.
Ok, Im done whining now. I hope everyone had a better productive weekend and some good sound sleep. Until next time, see ya on the back roads.

2 comments:

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Keep your head up girl. These are just some small abstacles. I do know the feeling though sometimes, although any of my problems are just small. I rolled around in bed till after 4:00am last night myself, with things on my mind. I know it's hard sometimes to get your mind off things even if they are just small set backs.

Jen said...

Hermit,
Thanks for listenin' to me carryin' on. I'm sorry you had a restless night too. Sometimes though, we just can't help it. Hope you get to sleepin' well soon. ~jen