Today I had to go to the lil town where my cabin is at to run an errand that I had totally forgot about. I then went to the post office to buy some stamps and to mail something and met with the postmaster, who by the way, was working alone. For being such an itty bitty town that post office sure gets busy. I dont know how we got into the conversation about what county roads we live on and such but it turns out she and her family live on the same county road as my place! She is a good bit down the road bout 3/4 mile around a bend. What a small world. So we got to talkin n' got acquainted. She was tellin me bout her critters n such. She also knows the names of all the people down that county road. It was a good conversation and we exchanged numbers. Said it be fun to get together for a BBQ sometime n go 4 wheelin with her family. I think that would be great. She also had lots of good info like the kinda stuff that's good to know.
Got to my country place and omg...the grass was really tall now only in the front I say bout the first 1/4 of the acre. My second acre is a whole different story. That grass is probly almost at my waist. I call that acre my winter project cause its too hot to clear brush right now. Anyway, I really didnt feel like doing much because this was an unexpected trip but when I saw the grass I thought I better check the battery in my mower and charge it for a lil bit to mow some. Well even after a charge the mower was still hesitant so I will have the battery checked out by the guy at the auto parts store in the morning. Hopefully it is just a battery issue and if it is then mowing is definately on my list of things to do this weekend. The ground is pretty much dried up but now the damn mosquitos are out full force. Even with the Deep Woods Off sprayed all over me, they were still biting!!! Lil bastids!!!
Other than that I went around digging up lil prickly pair cactus. When they are just growing and are maybe like 4 inches outta the ground, they can be painful if your ankle grazes against it or even your shoelaces or socks or pants...or whatever...so I was going around with the shovel diggin 'em up while the battery was charging. (*note: those prickly pear cactus make some mighty fine eatin' when de-spined and prepared correctly *called nopalitos. The ones I was digging up are in the common places where I walk around alot so those had to go. There's plenty more cactus for harvesting in mid spring when the tender new ones come in)It was a beautiful afternoon and a nice but mild northern breeze started comin in nicely. After tinkering with the mower again and no success with it, I decided that it was time to go.
Thats it for now..until next time, see ya on the backroads.
4 comments:
Sounds like you've got a good neighbor. I've got a few of my own. Worth their weight in gold.
Hi Mo,
Yes, the postmaster was really nice and friendly. She seems to know alot about our county road happenings. ~jen
Hi Ms Jen, sounds like our little town too, small enough that everyone knows everyone. And I like it that way.
stella
Hi Stelly,
She was a nice lady and full of info! Seems country folk get more acquainted with people yet live far enough away from each other. ~jen
Post a Comment