...from outta my shell. I apologize to the readers that keep up with my blog ramblin's. It has been a bleek time for me these past several weeks. The job search continue's and it is just really shitty out here far as job searching goes. I dont ever remember having this hard a time finding a job. I have faxed countless resumes' and on alot of those I cant follow up on because I dont even know where they are going. Some companies don't include their name on the ad. For those of you that have jobs you are truly blessed. Keep your job as long as you can.
As far as my little cabin project, last Sunday I had the chance to go and check on things and do some more roof work. I got there mid day and it was triple digit temperatures. I knew I had to wait until evenin to get on the roof. Finally we got some cloud cover and it cooled down real nicely and so I commenced to carry shingles up to the roof about 9 at a time draped over my shoulder. I try to do a whole bundle like that so that I dont have to keep climbing down after one course is run. This is only one side of the roof that I am puttin shingles on. The wind got a hold of the felt paper on the other side of the roof so now I have to remove that paper and replace it with some new paper then start puttin the shingles on. What a pain in the ass and waste of material!!! But I was on a roll workin on the roof and was determined to finish but right at about dark I ran outta nails and I ran outta daylight. I only needed a course n a half to finish that side up to the ridge pole. I must say that I was happy with with my results at the end of the day...I felt like I had accomplished what I set out to do. Also what made a big difference is that the temperature's dropped to the lower to mid 70's from 103 degrees. Thirty degrees is a huge difference and made it very comfortable to work in.
I will be going back this weekend to work on the other side of the roof as I am feeling winter will be here in no time. I may just end up taking some of the scrap lumber I have under the house and start on a lil porch instead of the addition I was wanting. A porch is a must as the sun beats down pretty good.
I will get some pictures taken on my next outting out there to share with you. Again I apologize for not writin anything sooner. I just wasn't feeling it. I hope everyone is enjoying their homesteading projects and gettin your homes, gardens and animals situated for the fall and winter season approaching. Until next time, see you on the backroads.
8 comments:
Sorry to read about the tough job market and sleep difficulties. Challenging combo to have to deal with. Based on your writing I don't expect you'll have to struggle for long. I admire your adventurous side while staying connected to reality. I'll be routing for you. Look forward to seeing the pictures.
Thank you Mo. I'll be working on my place this weekend and I'll be sure to snap some pics. As much as we need the rain, I dont want it to rain this weekend as I need to start on the other side of the roof. Have a good weekend!
Gregabob from BHM here--good to see ya back at it Jen. I unnerstand roofing in the heat, I rebuilt my lil barn last year and did the roofing in the morning or evening. Trying to move around on the asphalt shingles during the heat of the day damages 'em. Gere's hopin' an' prayin' for ya to get some form of employment soon......
I was kinda wondering where you were hiding. I hav'nt been on here much myself. I know it is tough sledding with the job market these days in alot of places. I see it here in Canada, there are alot of people out of work. Hang in there Jen, something has gotta come your way sometime. Thanks for the update Jen.
Hi Greg. Thanks fer stoppin' by. I made the mistake once of climbin up on the roof and "tried" to work on layin the shingles down but I learned quick that it wasnt a good idee when that paper touched my leg...ouch! Thanks fer the prayers. Take care.
Hi Hermit..good to see ya and I hope things are going good for you and your cabin. Ive got to catch up on yer blog too. Yes, jobs are almost hopeless out here. Its bad! I hope to post pics in a few days. Have a good weekend!
Hey girlfriend sure glad ya postin again. Was thinkin ya had fallen in a hole somewhere and pulled the dirt in behind ya. But I do understand the tough times, we are feelin it here to as ya know. Jus keep ya chin up and walk forward always, one lil step ata time.
Hugs
stella
Thanks fer understandin' Stelly. Am thinkin' I'da rather fallen in a hole fulla dirt. Woulda given me a chance to test the temperature of the soil. Thank you fer stoppin by fer a beer.
Post a Comment