Sunday, September 20, 2009

Homemade Love

Stayed in today again. Didnt go to my cabin all weekend. I've had the sniffles and sneezes and it may just be bad allergies but whatever it is I just didnt want to aggravate it.
I've been wanting to pick up where I left off last year with some quilting blocks I had started. Originally, this was going to be a lap quilt for my late Grandmother. I have a bad habit of starting quilting/sewing projects and never finishing them in a timely manner.
My Gramma always sewed and quilted. It truly is an art. She was taught by her mother when she was only a child and it was just one of those things that women learned to do because they would make most of their clothing. Many many times I would walk in to her home to find her sitting down on her recliner sewing quilt blocks, making lil pillow cases with designs on them, mending a dress, etc. She made quilts for all of her kids and for me and my lil cousin as we were the only grandkids who were super close to her. I have a handful that she made for me throughout my lifetime including my baby quilt.
She taught me how to sew and I would've known how to sew other stuff like she did but I never listened long enough. What I would give right now to be sitting next to her showing me how to make a dress or anything else sipping on a glass of sweet tea that she brewed.
So today as I sit here picking up the pieces of my own quilt and making my own memories, I will be thinking of her and I will also remember the millions of hand stitches she sewed on her quilts...each stitch holding a thought that will forever be etched in our hearts.
Until next time, see you on the backroads.


My Gramma's last quilt to me. Its beautiful. One of many.


A block up close. Most done by hand.


My project from last year, continued. This was going to be a lap quilt for my Gramma but she passed away in May 2009.


A block of mine up close. Not as nice as Gramma's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice post Jen...Grandparents can be special. I got my mechanical ability from my Grandpa on my mom's side--I have some of his hand tools in my box at work, and I use them almost daily. I think of him when I use them, just like you think of ya Gramma when ya keep warm with the quilt she made. Be sure an show us your quilt when ya finish it! Gregabob

Jen said...

Thanks Greg. I can certainly appreciate things that were handed down so I definately know how you cherish your Grampa's tools. Their weight is worth more than gold. I dont know when I'll finish the quilt but I'll be sure to post when done. ~jen