Sunday, January 10, 2010

Easy going Sunday

Today me and DeeDee(my lil doggie) took a trip to my country place. It had been two or three weeks since I last went there. I get fidgety when I haven't gone to check on things. Also, I had three big body bags of dried leaves that I raked up at work and some fine mesquite wood that I also got from work when we cut back on a mesquite tree. I was also anxious to try out my new to me Catalina propane heater. The leaves were going to be trashed but I see things differently than say the people at work for example. They asked why I wanted them and I told them I wanted to compost them and do you know what the man told me? He told me that most of the potting soils are compost material and that I can just buy a coupla those bags. Deep down inside me I felt insulted but he's a nice man so I let him go on with his spill about it. They think I'm weird sometimes but I dont care. I felt like I had just received a grand present with my big bags of leaves and my mesquite wood. The wood will be used exclusively for BBQing and for smoking meats. I take mesquite seriously.

When we got there it was like looking at my place with a different set of eyes. Things just looked "settled", if you will. Maybe it was the scrap wood pile that I greatly reduced the last time I was there or maybe it was because all the trees had dropped their leaves or maybe because I was just happy to be there. I don't exactly know what it was but it was a very welcoming feeling....kinda like when you go on a long trip and then you're finally glad you're home. Yeah, thats what it felt like. Things looked tidy and I think it is because the grass is dormant so there are no weeds to speak of. **Note: clicking on any images enlarges photo



I took DeeDee outta her crate and put her down for two seconds and she ran like a bat outta hell. I DO NOT trust this dog off the leash for nothin'! I ran after her calling her name and she wouldn't stop. Whilst winded, I finally caught her and put her on a 12ft. leash tethered to the hitch. I'm sorry but I have to do that. I will not be chasing her the entire time I am there, or worse....disappear into some private property that is fenced with tall grass and brush.

DeeDee sporting her jacket in a play mode. She gets cold easy but stays warm and active in this.

DeeDee basking in the sun in her throne after a long afternoon. She's a mess this dog-o-mine.

Anyhow, I was eager to try my new to me Catalina propane heater. The hose that came with it was not a fit to the propane tank so I was a little discouraged but then I remembered I had one of those outdoor cookers that hooks up to a propane tank. Its the kinda cooker you use when you boil big pots of shrimp, crawfish or crab or fry a turkey with. It looked like that hose would fit on my heater so I removed it and WALLA!!! I fired that baby up and she worked like a charm. I will have you know that I tested this heater outside for fear that I would blow up my lil house or somethin'. With the luck I have sometimes, I didnt wanna chance anything. But I was happy that I now have heat. I only had it on for about three minutes but it was radiating some wonderful heat. I called the lady I got it from to thank her again for it. I cant wait to someday sleep through a cold night inside that lil place-o- mine with the Catalina fired up through the night. I'm sure glad and happy that I got it now.



After I turned off the heater, I needed to get started on the compost pile. I didn't have a compost pile so a couple of idee's ran through my head on making one. Since I have six panels of used lattice, scrap welded wire fencing and some t-posts, I figured that that material would be great to use to make some kind of enclosure. It is a crude structure but it works for me. I took my t-post pounder and put up two t-posts on the ends of the lattice panel and one in the middle of each side. Then I took some welded wire fencing and enclosed the ends of it and tied with cable ties since I had those handy. I will enter and exit from the north end. I eyeballed everything so no precise measurements or levels were used but if you have any better idee's on a better one please feel free to share. I just wanted to use what I already had on hand. I have a big "material area". Most of that material is recycled from Freecycle.com or curbside treasures. The lattice panels I got from an old man for like ten bucks for all six. You can kinda see my mesquite wood pile. The wood on the far end is already seasoned and good to go.


That was it for my day yall. Time to get ready for work tomorrow (*frown) and tuck DeeDee in for the night. I'm sure glad you stopped in fer a glass of tea with me. Until next time, see you on the backroads.

10 comments:

stella said...

Hey Jenny, I sure am glad ya lil heater worked for ya. It should keep ya nice an toasty when ya do decide to stay the night out there. The place is lookin good girl. Keep ya nose in the wind, you will get there, I jus know it.

stelly

Jen said...

Thanks Stelly. Lots to do yet at the homestead but it is a pay-as-you-go thing. Someday I will look back at all this and wonder how I made it through.

Gregabob said...

Last year i mowed my way back and piled up the clippings in one of my unused horse stalls. The wet grass and weeds started to compost down. The drier grass that got piled on top actually turned into a sort of hay! The old farmer's trick of laying dry grass on top to protect the hay underneath works, as I found out accidentally. I've since added leaves from my cottonwood trees and turned the pile a bit, plus I've been watering the pile every couple days to start the compost process insted of makin' hay. Your lil bin looks good! If you dampen it a lil bit I'm sure it will make some nice compost--and it's free too--something an amazing number of folks don't seem to unnerstand. Good to see your progress. Gregabob

Jen said...

Hiya Greg,
Thanks for the info. I will have to piddle with it next time and turn it. The leaves at the bottom of the bags were wet. I will water the pile down next time I am out there and turn it. When I first raked and bagged the leaves, they were already breaking down into a dark soil-like substance. Those piles of leaves were there forever I was told. I knew I could put them to good use. Thank you for stopping by and offering advice from experience.

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

That looks like a decent sized heater. I'm not really familiar with it, but I would leave a window open a bit while you're using it, especially if you are sleeping. You probably know that, but just incase. I have a CO2 alarm in my shack also, that actually came in quite handy a time or two. It has gone off while I was cooking with the propane stove. I forgot to turn on the fan.
I like your little hound dog, but you gotta teach'em to come to you when you call him. lol. That will come in time I guess. Neat little coat, I should have had something like that for my poor deprived little doggy. Maybe she would spend more time outside.
Your house is looking pretty good.

Jen said...

Hermit,
The CO2 alarm is a great idea. I need to look into getting one before I actually use the heater. The heater puts out a good heat. I really liked it.
Sometimes my dog will listen when I call her...sometimes she wont lol. I dont know why she just darted like that. The doggie jacket and sweaters cost me under 10 bucks a piece. It really is worth the money.
My lil house is coming along slowly. I dont think it will ever be done fully but I can only do so much at a time. I wish I was there more often.
Thank you for stopping by Hermit.

Chris W said...

The place does look pretty peaceful sitting there with nothing growing or green, almost like it's resting. I gotta agree with Hermit on the CO2 detector, it could be a lifesaver. A few years ago, a bunch of drywallers were staying on a jobsite close by, and slept in a camper on-site. They turned on a propane heater with no alarm or window cracked...none of the 4 ever woke up.
Good goin' on the bags of leaves. I get them from the neighbors here for the same thing. Some go on the compost pile and some go straight on the garden. That lattice should work just fine, great idea!

Jen said...

Hey Dawgus,
That is awful to hear about the men that died to overexposure. I will surely look into that CO2 detector. Last time I used propane for heat was when I had my travel trailer at the ol' property but I cracked the kitchen and bedroom windows. It was actually quiet comfy in there.
I scored another bag of leaves today. We did some tree pruning at work and raked a small area of a rental hall and there are oak trees forever. I hit the jackpot again. This man I know spreads dead leaves in his chicken run and chicken house and lets the chickens "do their business". Then after a while he turns it over until it is a nice rich color. He is an amazing gardner.
I wish you lived any closer as I have a scrap wood pile that Im tired of looking at and would gladly give it to you. I've thinned out the pile quiet a bit but the stuff I havent thinned out looks useable.
It is good to see you and thank you for stopping by this Lil place-o-mine.

Anonymous said...

I assume that space heater is set up for propane and not natural gas. It's simply a matter of changing out the little gas orifices where the flames are, but definitely MUST be propane jets.

Also, if you don't crack a window a tad while using this heater....you may not wake up.

FYI...and good luck from fort worth.

Jen said...

The heater works great. I will definately leave my window cracked. I will also be installing some vents on the lil gable ends. Thanks fer stoppin' in anonymous in Fort Worth. Come back to visit sometime.