It took me a good while to get outta there and lost about 25-30min. on time. I saw so many abandoned old homesteads. I cant help but wonder about the families that lived there at some point in time and how they got along their daily lives. Many of those homes are board and batton with the triangle shaped looking roofs. I love those old houses..they have so much character and a hardiness appeal to them. I can almost imagine what they looked like in their day. I'll bet when one walked in the windows were open with gentle winds blowin' through the sheer white curtains and the window and door screens singing to the sounds of the wind. The smell in the kitchen of some down homemade meals permiated the walls and danced through each room and the slam of the wooden wore out screen door when someone opened it and entered the home; those sounds are music to my ears.
After a quick pull-over at a Walmart parking lot to stretch out a bit, I got back on the road and finally met with the lady. The heater is in pretty good shape and I took the bigger of the two. I was a happy camper. Now I can stay an entire weekend at my country place if I choose to since there will be heat to keep warm and comfortable in. As my friend Stelly said, it would be miserable to wake up and actually see your breath.
I had seen an antique shop on the way to meet the lady with the heater and figured I could stop by on the way back. The shop is cute as can be made with board and batton. They skirted the bottom of the lil building with railroad ties. You can tell that time and the elements have wore out the railroad ties to an aged but smooth finish..kinda like when something is settled. It looked great. When I walked in, I felt like I was going back in time. They have the most adorable nostalgic things...from tools, to old dishes and cookwear, old dolls, books, furniture...you name it. The guy that owns the business was a great guy and I plan on a return future visit only this time Im bringing my best friend with me. We love going to places like that. So if ever you are in the great State of Texas on Hwy 77 north or south please stop by and visit the good folks at EJ's Barn of Treasures. It is located between Halletsville and Schulenburg. I bought 3 one gallon bottles. One is an old Ozarka water glass bottle, the other is a Walker distilled water one gallon bottle and the brown one gallon bottle is not labeled only that it says Duraglass within the bottom of the bottle. I blew into all bottles to make sure there were no breaks or holes in them. For $2.99 a piece I couldnt pass them up. I also got an old cabinet and a hostess tray. I love lil hostess trays.
**please note that the date on my camera is a day behind.**
It was getting late in the afternoon and I really wanted to get home before dark. After getting back into some familiar territory, I pulled over to get a bite and to gas up again. I dont like risking low gas situations especially when I am far from home.
I saw an amazing sunset today and how I wished I had camera on hand. It was that bright firey blazing orange color. It looked amazing over the horizon as I crossed several bayous and a river.
I am finally home relaxing after a nice long hot shower. I dont know how much longer I can stay awake but I got to git now before my sody gits warm. Thanks fer stoppin' by. Until next time, see you on the back roads.
6 comments:
Congrats on the heater and all the other goodies Jen. Sounds like you had a good trip.
Thanks Hermit. Glad to have that heater and cant wait to fire it up in the cabin. It ended up being a good trip. I enjoyed the country sights along the way. Thanks fer stoppin' by.
Just linked to you through pile of o'melays. ah, I thought, another one of those gals. Have you checked out Edifice Rex.com. she's near your age, building her own home, etc. too. Happy to start reading your blog.
Sissy
I love antiquing! I sell a lot of what I find on eBay!
Sis,
Welcome to my blog. Im glad you found some interest in it. Most of the time I just ramble about what nots. I briefly checked out edifice rex and it is an interesting blog and I will follow it. Thanks fer stoppin' by. Until next time, see you on the backroads.
MA Fat Woman,
Good to see you. This lil place off the side of the road had lots of practical antiques and some really adorable ones. You woulda loved it and probly made out like a bandit! I plan on going back as time and money permit. Thanks fer stoppin by. Until next time, see you on the backroads.
Post a Comment