Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year.

Happy New Year everyone!! *Just for the record I fell asleep before 9pm. Was a time when I was in the middle of it all and made a big deal bout bringing in the new year wif a big bang and alcohol in hand. My how our bodies change and find that we cant stay up as late anymore and that half a beer can make you sleepy. Back in the day very little slowed me down*

We all know that this is a new beginning and a chance to start the new year off fresh. People usually make their resolutions at this time and I use to be one of them that made resolutions but after a week or so I tend to break my resolutions. So now I make a wish list, as I go, of the things I wish to accomplish during the year. Whether they get accomplished or not is ok by me. At least I know that thought will be given to it.

I definately will keep working on my lil cabin as I go. Thank goodness that it is finally enclosed. Still alot of things need to be done to it to really seal it up but those are things that will be done as I can. The entire interior needs done and that too will be done as time and money permits. At least if I had to or wanted to I can stay the night there now that it is secure. There are always ideas to be shared among people. My wish is to ultimately make my cabin as self sufficient as possible and to take advantage of the power of the sun. I am sure that there will be some big adjustments to make as most of us are tethered to the grid. But I dont think it will be difficult as one may imagine. I have had a taste of the solar life when I had my travel trailer and surprisingly it wasnt so bad.

Another thing on my wishlist is to learn how to can fruits, vegetables and ultimately meat after I learn how to garden well. I truly admire my friend Stella's canning skills. She and her family live in the hills of Kentucky on her family farm that has been there for generations. She grows the most beautiful gardens I have ever seen and has some mad canning skills. All of the fruit and vegetables that goes on her table she grew and canned herself. I think that is most awesome and someday I wish to have the privilege to spend time with her and learn this art from her. Stelly, you are an inspiration.

A local job would also be great. My truck is a real gas hogger and I spend way too much money on gas per week. Times like this make me wish that I had a little 4 cylinder car, although my truck has come in real handy in many situations.

I'd like to win the lotto while we're at it.

Omg, this year I wish that my lil puppy DeeDee gits housebroke. Boy am I having a time teaching her to use the puppy pee pads. (*notin the gray in my hair) I'm not sure if shes just not gettin it or what but it drives me crazy when she pee's on stuff she aint supposed to. I discipline her for this. She has pretty much learned what the word "NO" means, except when it comes to pee accidents. I feel bad when i get mad at her but discipline needs to be done now while she is still a baby. In those time, she will look at me like I have done something horrible to her. For those of you who do not know this DeeDee is a rescue dog from the shelter. I went over there on my lunch break one day because I wasnt hungry and saw the most adorable little dog. I wasnt there to look for a dog but she kept following me and whimpering at me whenever i walked by. She was also the tiniest dog there weighing in at 3.6 lbs. When I was told that her time was "up" 3 days prior I panicked as she was set to be euthanized in two more days since no one had come to claim her or adopted her. I was horrified and my heart went out to this little puppy and I knew that deep down I couldnt let this happen. She is a survivor. When she was found she had to have just been weened not too long prior and the situation she was in we think she had to pretty much fend for herself so she has had a rough start. She is the perfect lil dog except for the pee pee problem. So here I am now with this lil puppy weighing it at 5.1 lbs now and healthy as a horse. I love her very much....even though she challenges me with this pee problem.

Ok, Im ramblin now. I hope everyone has an even better year than 2009. I wish you good health, full cupboards, wisdom, stable finances, and lots of love and laughter. Until next time, see you on the backroads.

2 comments:

stella said...

Thank you Jen, I am humbled muh fren and ya are alas welcome to come on up here any time. I dont know it all by any means but am willing to share what I have learned in the canning department. It has took me 47 years and lots of prodding from some new good frens(wink) to take a look and really appreciate what I do have here. Will be lookin forward to ya visit this summer. Happy new year, love ya!

STELLA

Jen said...

Thanks for the invite Stelly. I look forward to visiting your homestead soon. You are truly blessed with your abundance. ~jen