Saturday, February 20, 2010

got mud? or gas?

Thank goodness the weekend is here. I may dash out to my lil cabin in a coupla hours and if I do I will stay the night. We got a good amount of rain yesterday and I am curious to know how my "lawn" is doing.

Yesterday on the way home after work, I took a back road. I seen a clumped pile of aluminum cans on the roadside. To most its trash but I see money in them cans. So I ever so slightly pull over to pick them up and toss 'em in the back of the truck. I left the truck running and as I gave it a lil gas to go, I felt the truck slide and it was slidin' toward the field even after I stopped gassin' it. Not to fear...I kicked my Chevy in 4wd and turned the wheel and ever so slightly gassed it until the front tire caught traction on the road and I was back in business! Not that Im afraid of a lil muddin', but I wont tear up anyones fields iffin I can help it. I havent had to use my 4wd much but I have been in a coupla situations where I needed it and wasnt exactly in a convenient place for most.

I feel like I have so much to do and I cant git myself to get started so I guess I better git. Sorry for it not bein' any more interesting than my experience on gettin' stuck but I havent been on here much and felt like I had to make my contribution.

**12 hours later...

Well I'll be damned...earlier this mornin' sorta after i posted, we heard a big ol' commotion sirens, diesal engines an all. Then those sirens were in the back by where resident vehicles park. As my Mom opened the door, she was blown away by the smell of natural gas and quickly shut the door. I smelled it almost immediately but I just hadda know what all happened. I went out the front door and saw the manager walkin' around telling residents of a certain area that they needed to vacate the building and residents wif children. What happened was there was a water leak and city crews were fixin' it when they struck a natural gas pipeline. I could hear it venting to atmosphere. All ignition sources were prohibited and they was waitin' on some Emergency Response Team. It took them FOREVER to get here. Luckily we had some wind else the gas woulda just loomed heavy. Needless to say, I didnt make it to my country place because by the time they got the gas leak under control I had about three and a half hours of daylight left and it takes me one hour to get there so I couldnt justify that expense. So I hung around here and did some internet browsing and read some short stories, took a nap, and here I am.
Anyway, just thought I'd fill yall in.

4 comments:

Gregabob said...

Won't it be nice to be on ya own property where the actions of someone else will have less of an effect on you? Glad ya didn't get blown up-and what a score on those cans! I've been 'scrappin' since I was a kid, and I still do it to this day. Lotsa money to be had sellin' scrap.

Jen said...

Greg,
I cant wait to live full time on my property someday. This town where I live has always been mediocre but I have been noticing subtle changes as in more noise, more people, more sirens etc. I get easily annoyed by those things.
I find aluminum cans all the time at work so I started collectin' them else they'd go in the trash and thats money goin' in the trash. I'm surprised at how quickly they have accumulated. Thanks fer stoppin' by and havin' a late breakfast n' milk(from a real cow..lol) wif me at this here lil place-o-mine. Until next time, see ya on the back roads.

Terry said...

Thats spooky about the gas. Good grief glad nobody got hurt. People who say 4x4 is a waste of money have never been in a tight spot IMO. They arent miracle workers but sure do come in handy when the chips are down. I hope you have a great rest of the weekend. Native87 Terry

Jen said...

Hi Terry,
Yes, the smell of gas was pretty bad. It is amazing at how fast it can come inside. Thankfully gas crews were able to control it and no one got hurt.
I agree with you about the 4x4's. Caliche is very common over here and is very slick and slippery when it has been raining alot. Coupla times I got stuck is a good thing I had a 4x4 because a 2wd coulda never pulled it out.
I too hope you had a wonderful weekend. Thanks fer stoppin by.