Sunday, February 28, 2010

weekend woes

Not much going on this weekend. There was a slight chance I mighta had worked but I didn't have to afterall.

I slept almost all day yesterday(Saturday). I cant believe I let myself do that but I hurt pretty bad in my muscles due to some things we had to do at work for two days in a row. It is unlike me to sleep for so long but sometimes the body just needs the rest to heal. I have an Ibuprofen prescription that helps some so I took it. Needless to say, I didnt make it out to the my lil place.

I went to the library on Friday to check out a book AGAIN that I have read before. It is called Big Bend: A Homesteader's Story by J.O Langford. I love this book. It is out of print but you can still have it ordered by Barnes and Noble. Big Bend is a National Park here in West Texas. That area fascinates me most and have fancied the thought for years of living in the desert someday. I have been researching desert living for some time now.

Friday while at work, I was driving the work truck and had to go through my Grampa's old neighborhood. My Grampa always kept a garden..a big one. His lil outbuildings were still there and all and brought about good memories..but I was so disappointed to see that the people who live there now have turned the "garden area" into a parking area! I wish the world would've known my Grampa. He was a great man and always willing to help someone in need. He would be tickled to know that I built a lil cabin..lol. God Bless him.

Our high today at 65 degrees calls for mostly cloudy skies. Maybe I will start my pepper seeds today. My friend Stelly has encouraged me enough through her blog readings on the seeds. She's always on top of stuff. I had bought a grow light about two years ago and I cannot find it. I came across it like 3 weeks ago or so but I dont remember where. I hate it when I cant remember where I put something. I have 'accumulated' buckets for container gardening. Mostly found 'em on a curbside or the side of the road. Buckets sure come in handy.

Well, Im outta here fer now. Sure do thank you fer stoppin' by. Until next time, see you on the backroads.

**a quick note...I just scored 4 trash bags of aluminum cans off of freecycle.com here in town! I could not resist. There's money in them there cans.

6 comments:

Gregabob said...

Sorry to hear you didn't get out to your cabin yet this weekend. Good to hear you're startin' seeds! Buckets make good containers for plants, I've used several from work. I've been pickin' up tires from the side of the road for use as 'tater planters. It's a nice day today, so the first ones will be filled with dirt and seed taters planted. It's a free way to get taters in a small space. Enjoy the rest of ya weekend! Gregabob

Jen said...

Hiya Greg,

Im hoping to make it out to that lil place-o-mine next weekend. Im sure it will be full of surprises. Maybe the mesquite trees will be puttin' out their leaves.
Ive heard that tires make fer good tater beds. I come across those frequently but have never picked 'em up. I cant believe some tire dealers are now charging to dispose of the tires. Ive never been charged to dispose of a tire cept the last place I needed one in a pinch so I told them to throw it in the back of muh truck and took it to the homestead. Would make fer a good trial tater bed. I love taters!!!! Thanks fer stoppin' by...you too enjoy the rest of yer weekend. Keep us updated on yer garden'n. You did a fine job last year. ~jen

Terry said...

I have read some things lately on using tires for tater towers. I think it sounds real promising. Lord knows I don't have to look for tires as I have a truckload here that have come off the farm truck and trailers. When I get a tire I run that thing to the belts. LOL I have been put on the side of the road for a change because of my drive it till it drops mindset but hey. Those things are alot of money to replace. Hope you have agreat upcoming week Jen. Take Care Terry

Jen said...

Hi Terry,
I would be interested in giving the tire thing a run fer the taters like Greg mentioned. I see tires along the road side almost on a daily basis since I do alotta drivin' at work. Its a good thing to have extra tires on hand like you have. I too hope you have a great upcoming week Terry. Thank you for stopping by this lil place-o-mine fer an evenin' glass of sweet Texas tea.

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

You know, I do that all the time myself. Trip over things everyday and when I need it, I can't find it.

Jen said...

Hermit,
I seem to do more of that as of late....lol. Good to see you back.