The work day dragged for too long today. They guys hadda break up some cement skirting around a building. I was designated to keep 'readily available' in case they needed a tool, flashlight etc., which was fine with me. I work outside about 98% of the time. This one particular park I work at offers some great views and nature trails. So if I have to go to the trail on an "errand" it is more like a treat. Right now is wild hog season and of course deer season. Hogs have been tearing into and rooting up grasses. It is rare to see one in the day but you can pretty much size one up by looking at their hoof prints in the dirt/mud. This place also offers a variety of birds for bird watchers. In the past coupla years, I have taken a liking to bird watching. I guess I always have but now I really do pay closer attention to detail. Maybe Im just getting old. I am also fascinated by Texas wildflowers. I did identify several of them last year and cant wait until they are in bloom again. I will have to share some amazing scenes with you when they come back in the spring. Today I ran into a lil cluster of cactus called Horse Crippler also known as Devils Head or Devils Pin Cushion. It almost looked like Peyote so I needed clarification. I wasn't able to get a pic because I was at work an didnt have my camera. I have some of this stuff at that lil place-o-mine.
Here is a pic I got from the internet of a Horse Crippler..

(Photo courtesy of Texas A&M in Uvalde)
They have some hard, nasty needles hence the name.
Interesting tidbit http://uvalde.tamu.edu/herbarium/ecte.htm (copy and paste)
It is great to know your flowers/foliage from your area and to be able to identify them. I don't all of mine and will never know all of them but I am learning.
I hope you had an interesting day and thanks fer stoppin' by. Until next time, see you on the backroads.
2 comments:
horse crippler
how awful!
i see why...i hope there aren't too many of them!
tbsomeday,
Yes'm. Them needles are something awful. They are very hard and stiff. I havent found any at that lil place-o-mine but there are a variety of other cactus, including the prickly pear that bears an edible fruit that can be made into preserves. Ive eaten the cactus which is delicious when prepared right. Ive never had one of the fruits but am going to try 'em when they come into season. Good to see ya.
Post a Comment