Sunday, January 2, 2011

Baking and piddlin' this weekend.

Its been a nice and relaxing three day weekend. I was homebound but nonetheless I found things to do.

I was in a baking mood so yesterday(Sat.)I baked two loaves of bread. The first batch took real long for the dough to rise. But I found what I did wrong. I normally put warm water in with the yeast and sugar to froth but this time I didnt use warm water, it was straight from the tap and cool. I hadda rethink where I might've gone wrong. So while it took almost 2hours to rise to my liking, I started another batch with warm water to the yeast and sugar and it rose! The results of the first batch after baking it was a flatter bread. It was still delicious though. The second batch after baking came out how I normally make it.

Today I made quick biscuits. Those are simple as follows:

Ingredients
2 1/4 cup self-rising flour
3/4 cup shortning
1 cup milk

Combine and mix ingredients together. Put on floured wax paper, floured countertop or floured rolling board. Pat the dough out with your hands until dough is not sticky(add a lil flour if necessary). Fold double. Cut biscuit with a biscuit cutter or whatever you have handy. Put biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet with sides touching. Bake at 425 degrees F for 20-25min (oven times may vary). They were thick biscuits. Enjoy with butter, molasses, honey or whatever you like. I had eggs and ham with 'em.


I did alot of reading and researching this weekend..mostly on homesteading, self-reliance issues. I thumbed through my Backwoods Home Magazines that I got about two months ago from a nice lady, all of 2010 issues for $10! It was an awesome deal!

I didnt go to my that lil place-o-mine this weekend as gas prices are so sky-high. I thought I should conserve what I did have for the work week. Today I pumped another $20 and all I got was 6 gallons and my truck is a gas guzzler. It sucks that I can't enjoy what I have. I wish that someday I could work from home..generate enough income and never have to leave the place. Wishful thinking I know but hope, sometimes, is all I have.

I hope you had a wonderful weekend. I hope the New Year brings many blessings, good health and good harvests.

Thanks fer stoppin' by. Until next time, see you on the backroads.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy looking biscuits. I'll have to try your recipe soon. We found some "blueberry" honey that is so good.

I have officially started my "home" business of my egg sales, etc. but it's really only going to help with tax deductions, etc. It's exciting tho! I figure I can write off some of my gas mileage for feed trips, egg delivery trips, etc.

Hope your week goes quickly!

Jen said...

Hope, Joy and Faith....OMG blueberry honey sounds DELICIOUS!!!
I hope yer egg sales will go good this year. There is nothin' like fresh eggs. Any lil bit of money helps. Many good blessings, good health and good harvests fer you and yer family this New Year and always. Thanks fer stoppin' by.

tbsomeday said...

mmmmmmmm
send me some biscuits!!
pehaps you can sell them and stay home that way :)

Jen said...

tbsomeday,
I would love to bake you some biscuits. It would be most awesome if I could make a living selling them :) . Thanks fer stopping by.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen


That was a good score, the Backwoods Home magazines. It must be nice to be able to cook too. (I live out of a microwave)
I found a really nice place in Mason, Tx. A house and five acres of land for $119.000.00, just outside of Mason. Thats kinda of what I am looking for. Im not ready to sell my house just yet and get outta here. Check out landsoftexas.com. One of my favorite websites. Hang in there with the gasoline thing, its only gonna get worse ($5.00 a gallon predicted) pay off credit cards and use disposable income for gas.

Jen said...

Hey Captain,
I hope you eventually find the perfect dream house/land. Once you get it and it really sinks in it feels great.
I too heard about gas prices going up. It is ridiculous. It is going to get to the point to where people cant get to work. Myself included.
Thanks fer stoppin' by this morning.