Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sticker shock !

I had to go into the grocery store today to drop off a prescription. I needed two small items so off I went. I wasn't really looking forward to walking the store at 7:30pm in the evening with sunglasses on inside the store but I had to wear them. I had my eye doctor appointment today and they dilated my eyes so I am very sensitive to light. People probly thought I was weird or somehting.

Fer some reason today I paid a lil more attention to the grocery tag prices. A whole chicken costs around $6.00 or more. If its cut in pieces it might be more. Beef is a whole other subject. It is ridiculously priced. Then I went to the seafood section. I don't know why I did because I rarely buy any fish. Most fish I eat I catch it myself. But some frozen tilapia fillets caught my attention because they looked "different" to begin with. They were about $7.00 for about six of 'em. It said Product of China AND what was most disturbing was that it said on the package Carbon Monoxide used fer coloring!!!! Are you freakin' kiddin' me? And people consume this? I about flipped. I was struggling enough trying to read this package through blurred vision and after verifying it a second time I had read the label coreectly. What in the hell? I mean to use carbon monoxide. Surely it has to have some carbon monoxide deposits in the fillets. I cant believe this is allowed. I walked away with disgust.

I then started walking over to the produce department. But on my way there I have to pass through the "floral area" where they sell lil flower ararngements n' stuff. A price tag that said $17.99 caught my attention and I wanted to see what cost $17.99. What I saw next had me shaking my head. There were three 3" flimsy pots in this lil wooden makeshift wagon that looked like it had been made with pallet boards. Yes it was cute but the price wasn't. It said "Kitchen Herbs". What they did was plant oregano in one pot, rosemary in the middle pot, and marjoram in the other lil pot and stuck 'em in this wooden thing. The lil plants were about 5" tall if that. I have those very seeds i got fer bout 59cents a package, dirt and lots of scrap wood to make that very same project. The thing that really gets me is that people actually buy this. Hell for $17.99 you can plant a huge garden. I had mixed emotions after that and I walked away shaking my head.

I finally got to the produce section. I needed two tomato's. All varieties were ridiculously overpriced. Most tomato's were hard. I grabbed a bag of carrots fer 79cents. My body was craving carrots. I remember paying like 48cents fer a bag of carrots not too long ago. I quickly browsed throughout the other produce and made a run fer the checkout. This trip has given me a more keeness to food and why I must start raising my own. Everyone should raise their own. This was quiet a shock and am still sittin' here thinking bout it.

Im off my rant now. My eyes are strained.

Thanks fer stoppin' by. See you on the backroads.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen

Whats happening is the value of the dollar is going down (thanks to the Federal Reserve printing more money) and so items cost more to purchase. I dont buy anything unless I need it. I also will not buy anything made in China unless I have no other choice. Hang in there Jen', your eyes will be ok.

Jen said...

Morning Captain,
I'm with you. I don't buy anything unless I truly need it. Some prices had me dumbfounded. I agree with you on the China thing. My eyes are doing ok. They are still dilated this morning. The doctor said it could take up to 24hours to before back to normal. I'm taking the day off. I work outside and I'm still sensitive to light this morning. The last thing I wanna do is strain them and do damage to them. Thanks fer stoppin by.

Mo said...

It amazes me that China can out compete us on items like food, steel and drywall even though it has to be shipped half way around the world. Sad state of affairs. Unsustainable in my estimation.

The American Dream is being given away for short term gain. GM using OUR money to open a 540 Million dollar plant in Mexico!!! What is up with that?

Seems we're at the end of an era. I hope we can make it into the future with the same ideals the founders laid out for us.

stella said...

See Jenny this is why I stay home. lol I get sticker shock everytime I go out to a store. Ya would think I had been livin unnera rock somewhere. Growin your own is easier than ya might think too.

Jen said...

Hi Mo. I dont understand this whole China purchasing/trading. I mean I know they sell for cheap but I know shipping isnt cheap. Seems to me it would be better and easier to buy American.
GM going to Mexico just means that people will be left without jobs here in the US. We are hurting so why not give Americans jobs?! I'm not sure what lays ahead for us. Good to see you Mo.

Hi Stelly. I think its great to be able to stay home and work on yer own stuff. You and yer family are definitely doing the right thing by planting a garden and preserving your harvests for the year. I so admire that.

Anonymous said...

Prices are crazy...time for our Victory Gardens! I am on SS Disability and just quit buying my scripts..guess what I feel OK!

Jen said...

Hi Frann,
Good to see you stop by. You aint kiddin' bout startin' Victory Gardens. You are braver than I bout not buying yer scripts anymore. I wish I didnt 'need' mine. Glad you feel ok without 'em though.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen


I have know an organization that will be providing information on gardening, canning and other stuff this Saturday (Jan, 29) in our area. E-mail me at captaincrunch8@gmail.com and I can get that info to you. Some of this stuff I think you could really use for your off the grid homestead.

Jen said...

Email on its way. Thx.