I have been asked if I could put a lil video together about my lil place so today while I was out there I did just that. I hope you enjoy it.
Be warned that this is still a work in progress and will be for a very long time. Its in the brush so if it don't cut you it'll sting you or poke you. So grab yer hat, a beer and put on yer boots and come take a walk with me.
Copy and paste the link below. I dont know how to insert links.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWz4PlfK27I
*excuse the sniffling. dang allergies.
Thanks fer stoppin' by. Until next time, see you on the back roads.
13 comments:
Jen, that's a nice looking little house you have there. I'd love to have something like that here.
tffnguy...so glad you stopped by. I am building as I can afford it. It is small at 16x16 but it is just right for one or two people. I plan to add on more to it later like 8x16 making it total to a 16x24. The interior is not done yet but it does keep me dry and out of the elements. I did most of it myself, except the roof decking boards...i paid a guy to help me with those but i papered it and shingled it as well. So far on just the lil house just as you saw in the video i have about $1300 dollars in it. All of the material was new but I know it can be done with recycled material. I am trying to keep my costs down as much as possible but there are certain things that need to be new like insulation and stuff like that. Im glad you liked it and would be happy to discuss the project in more detail. Thanks fer stoppin by.
Jen,
I think you have come a very long way since you started here. You should be very proud of what you have built. It looks to be solid and well constructed. The new materials was a fine thing, but, now that you have began to acess recycled stuff you will be surprised at how fast your additions, and out buildings will come together.
Nice start on the cabin Jen, you should be very proud of yourself.
Flatwater/Bob
Jen, That looks great. You've got a really good place startin! dgr
Oldie,
Its been a long ride. Sometimes I cant believe that I built that with my own two hands. It is very solid..so far no leaks in the roof! Inside the cabin I have accumulated some other material my cousin didnt want anymore like 4x4's and 2x6's..used of course but very usable. It will all come in handy fer sumthin' or other. Thanks fer stoppin by.
Hey Flats,
Good to see you here and thanks. I still need lots of stuff to it but the main thing is is that it keeps me dry and I can put my head down comfortably. PS...I LOVE you and Mrs. Flats cabin in the woods. Fine job. Good to see u.
DGR!
Thankee Ma'am. It surely has been hard work but for the most part I have enjoyed doing this, knowing there is a good and practical purpose fer it. It keeps me busy out there and keeps my mind on the right track. So glad you could come by.
Jen, 16x16 at that cost is exceptional. I'd have figured a 12x12 would cost that or more. As a matter of fact before I came down here I got a bid from a local contractor and he wanted $2500 to build a 12x12 shell only.
A video or pictures of the inside would be good.
tffnguy,
$2500 is too much money for a 12x12 SHELL. I figure fer that much you can have a nice 16x28. I have rounded up rough figures on the dollar fer my expenses fer this lil house. I kept rough figures written in a lil tally book As follows:
deck block 36.00, 4x4x10 posts 45.00,
3/4" tongue and groove osb sheets fer the flooring 72.00,floor joists 135.00, wall studs 171.00, exterior side panel 170.00, outer floor frame 32.00, roof decking 200.00, tar paper 60.00, 20yr shingles 200.00, one 36x36 low-e window 60.00, door 100.00 various hardware such as hurricane ties, post supports, floor hangers,lots and lots of deck screws, misc. 200.00. Ok so it adds up to almost 1500.00 and that is not including the interior materials which i dont have most of yet except 2 rolls of insulation which i have not yet installed. I did get two used 24x24 windows on craigslist fer 25 bucks fer both.
I am not too much in a hurry to finish the inside but my priority was to get the place enclosed and provide cover and shelter. The rest I can work on rain or shine.
About three years ago i got a Harbor Freight 45watt solar panel setup and a 12vdeep cycle marine battery which provides all my electrical needs such as lights, a fan, charge cell phone, charge laptop(before it quit on me). I also have a generator fer backup.
I hope this kinda gives you an idea of what I've got goin' on. Give me a lil bit to look fer interior pics and I will post. Next time I am out there i will get video of unfinished raw interior.
Thanks fer the interest. Feel free to ask any questions.
very fun way to take us on a tour!
love it :)
was great hearing your voice and matching the words on your blog with a voice :)
Wow Jen, you are truly an inspiration to all us women out there who dream of what you are doing. You keep my hopes alive that one day i'll be able to do the same thing as you.
Keep up the good work.
tbsomeday,
I'm glad you enjoyed the lil dime tour. Its the only way possible to let people see it. The video quality isnt that great but its all I have fer now. Thank you fer stoppin' by.
Hiya txplowgirl,
Thank you fer the nice words. This is very attainable and even better/faster when you have some help. I only had help fer the roof decking, though i papered and shingled it. I get excited when other people want to attain similiar goals.
Talk about a plain Jane house but hey, its paid for and I can make most any space work fer me. Stay with a positive attitude and begin to see yerself living in yer own lil house on yer own piece of land. It creates positive energy. Im glad you liked it and thank you fer stoppin by.
Hey Jen,
That little house of yours is really getting some attention. I need land to build a cabin. Don't know yet where?
Do you have any input on buying land and where in South Texas?
thanks,
captaincrunch
Hi Captain,
Good to see ya. I will certainly do my best to help you find something. I know of a couple of realtors that I would use and one that I would stay 100 miles away from. You need to narrow yer search down. For example, do you want raw land with nothing on it or do you want water, electrical hookups, owner finance, pay cash...that kinda thing. Do you want green lush grasses year round or do you care if yer in dry brush like I am? How much land do you want? The bigger the land the more the upkeep and equipment it will take. Lots to consider. I will be happy to discuss this further. Email me at this blogger account. Thanks fer stoppin' by.
Post a Comment