Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Meet Maddie Lou

Ok, I really did it this time. There is no turning back. Let me explain....a few days ago I went to the local animal shelter in the lil city where I work. I had a good breakfast so at lunchtime I didnt have anything to do and I was bored so I thought I would visit the animal shelter. Sometimes when I get bored I wonder off and no telling what the outcome.
Omg! They had the most adorable lil doggie and she ran right up to me and looked and whimpered. My heart went out to her almost immediately. Im sure she felt really out of place because all the other dogs around her were medium to big and here she was this lil petite dainty cutie patooty doggie. I tried not to let that get me so I walked away and evertime I passed by she just ran to me with her lil bitty short legs. I felt sad seeing her there in a cage.
The past few nights have also been on the nippy side and she had been sleeping on cold concrete and I couldnt imagine how cold she musta been. So I spoke to my coworker who is the animal control guy about her and he said that she had been there 7days and that her "time" was coming up. He said he was hoping somebody would claim her but no one did. I told him I couldnt bear the thought of putting her down so he asked me if I wanted her he would just hand her over to me. He let me wait a coupla more days until I was good and sure. So today(Wed.) I picked her up after work. He gave me a voucher to a vet so I was able to have her seen today for a checkup.
She did amazingly well in the truck. I had a big thick towel in the truck and layed it on the floor board and she sniffed a lil bit and made herself comfortable under the towel all snuggly. Poor baby, Im sure it felt great to get up off the cement and onto something soft. When we got to the vet, she was such a good lil girl. She never fussed to get outta my arms and what a good patient when the vet and tech handled her. Her stool sample was good as was her checkup. She does have two tiny irritated spots that he told me what to put on. She also has fleas and he gave me two pills to give her (one now and another later)that make the fleas fall off and die within 30 minutes or so. He wasnt kidding either!! He trimmed her nails and told me to wait to bathe her for at least 3 days or so. She needs a good bath.
Oh yeah, he estimated her to be about 10-12weeks old. He believes she is mixed breed but definately has chihuaha in her. I had never heard her bark in the coupla times that I visited her at the shelter. When I hadda put the pill down her throat is the first time I heard her lil bark. It was so cute. We finally got home and I put her in a plastic storage tote with a towel for warmth. She is really enjoying it and has been sleeping alot. The doctor said she would probably be doing that. Poor thing has probably not had any good sleep in who knows how long.
She is here next to me. I hear a lil puppy whimper now and then as she is sleeping. I found a lil pink camoflauge collar and got her a ID tag with her name and my number. The doctor said that the next ten days will be crucial as we dont know anything about her. Main thing is to get her up to par on good nourishment and go from there.
I am so happy to have her. She has a sweet and gentle disposition. I hope you enjoy her pictures. Thanks fer stopping by. Until next time, see you on the backroads.





10 comments:

Gianetta said...

Yep! Looks like you got you a cutie patootie all right.

Jen said...

Thanks MA...she was too cute to let be euthanized. She's had a rough start and she's only a puppy so I wanted her to have a good chance at life. I hope to do well at this. Thanks fer stoppin' by.

Mo said...

Yup, she'd have me "puppy-whipped" in no time. It is a good day when a dog gets a good home. Sadly there are way too many dogs and not enough good homes. It breaks my heart to see the number of great dogs that never get a chance. I wish you both well.

Anonymous said...

God Bless. The pup will repay you for her whole life.

See Ya

dgr said...

Awwwww, Jen. Bless her lil heart. I cried just lookin at her sweet lil sad eyes.

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Maddie Lou looks like a smart little companion to me. I hope everything goes well for you and Maddie Lou.

Jen said...

Mo,
I agree with you on too many dogs and not enough good homes. This puppy has had it ruff since she was born. She needed a second chance. Thank you for the good luck wishes and Maddie thanks you too.

Jen said...

Did It My Way,

Thank you kindly.

Jen said...

Dgr,
CryBaby has a new friend now. Maddie is a sweet lil dog. She gets me wif those sweet lil sad eyes. Thank you fer stopping by.

Jen said...

Hermit,
Thank you for the kind words. She's got a curious spunk alright. I think we'll be ok.