Thursday, June 25, 2009

Just gotta do it....

Yesterday and today have been busy days for me. I had a familial committment yesterday that needed tending too. Today,Thursday, me and my Mother went to my country place to get started on the roofing...one o' those things that ya just gotta do yourself or it wont git done. It was REALLY REALLY hot at 104 degrees. I dont know what the heat index was....am afraid to know. There was no breeze, no wind so it was miserable. We didnt get there until about 4:30-5pm. After setting up shop and briefing my Mom on what had been done etc., I started carrying shingles up to the rooftop as I could. Did I say that it was miserably hot? Well after a while I didnt feel so good so i had to stay outta the sun and drnk some water and Gatorade. I didnt get back on the roof until around 6:45-7pm or so then the breeze arrived. It was much tolerable then. I was on a roll but I only got to put about 4courses on before the last of the light left me. In all it was a productive afternoon for me. Mom was a good helper gettin' me water, gettin' the next set of shingles ready, holdin' the ladder etc. She sat in the shade and said that she was enjoying herself...something different and Im glad.
Is it rabbit breeding season? We saw more cottontails today than usual. I was treated to a beautiful sunset while on the rooftop. It was a firey orange and the way it looked on the horizon slowly falling beneath the mesquites was breath taking. I'm going now. I am tired, sore, and beat all in a good way and I hear my pillow calling. Thats it for my neck of the woods. Until next time, see ya on the backroads.

4 comments:

stella said...

Hi Jen, glad ya mom enjoyed herself. And looks like you are makin big steps on the cabin. Ya smart cookie, I aint got a clue how to lay shingles and hope I never have to learn. lol Besides I a chicken in high places.
take care and talk to ya soon

stella

Jen said...

Hey Stella! Ya, am glad Mom enjoyed being out there today. But dangit it sure was hot! This shingles thing is a learnin experience so I guess a good rain shower will only tell..lol. I read the directions over n over n asked a friend lots of questions. I sure miss being out there tho. Mom says is gonna be cute inside when all is said n done.

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Sounds like you're making lots of progress Jen. Keep it up. It's good to have moms help at times.

Jen said...

Thanks Hermit. Im pluggin' along as I can. And yes, Mom was a big help.